View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, May 09 2017, 0:42 AM 

Tester

What are some concepts, creatures, places, cultures, items, whatever from other media that you've considered translating into Forgotten Realms? It doesn't have to be something you've seriously considered and it doesn't have to be that serious. Would the Incredible Hulk work better as a Barbarian/Green Star Adept or some sort of Giantkin Bloodrager? Who knows?

Eldar Spirit Stones

I like my WH40k lore and my dumb weeaboo space elves. That's no secret. I've thought about multiple ways some sort of Eldar-ish culture could exist in FR, from some kind of Star Elf variant, to bringing in the Imperial Elven Navy of Spelljammer. For the moment I've decided that the Gith--specifically the Githzerai--are close enough to some sort of stoic, vaguely elven-looking(they're actually human-descended, yes, I know), alien and space-/plane-faring race for my tastes. They have a troubled past, they have multiple "paths" that they follow in life and often blend them(Zerths), and they rarely follow gods(Eldar have Khaine and that imprisoned goddess I guess... not sure how I feel about the Ynnead stuff yet).

Anyway, they share a few similarities with the culture I think is pretty neat in WH40k. One of the items I particularly like from there is the Eldar Spirit Stone, a gem the Eldar wear to capture their souls at the moment of death and prevent them from being devoured by Slaanesh. Later, they add these stones to their giant city-ships, where they become part of a matrix; this is the closest thing the Eldar get to an afterlife.

While the Githzerai don't really face such a danger to my knowledge, it makes sense that they might also have a way to capture their souls. They have no great patrons to look after their souls when death comes; plenty of demons and devils would jump at the chance for unguarded souls. I don't see a soul floating around in the chaos of Limbo surviving on its own very well. If Vlaakith, the lich queen of the Githyanki, is any rubric to go by, their souls can indeed be consumed, if not by some god or demon, then by some sufficiently determined undead. I really don't think Kelemvor or any of the Prime Death gods would have a dominion over them, but in case they did, being Faithless would mean they'd be added to the Wall upon death. With all those possible post-life threats, it stands to reason that they might have developed a method to combat this. Moreover, it would likely be arcanely crafted, seeing as Gith clerics aren't really a thing(despite what NWN 2's campaign will tell you). This is how I see it working:

Eldar Gith Spirit Stone

The What: Stone that absorbs a soul upon the holder's death, preventing spectral fuckery

The How: Craft Contingent Spell + Soul Bind + Black Sapphire Gem

There you are. A gem that traps souls on death, sparing the Gith from being destroyed/eaten/lost. I'm not sure if that gives them an actual afterlife, though. They'd be trapped in their own gem. They of course don't have craftworlds like the Eldar to go back to. I could see some sort of big post-rrakma ritual where Githzerai Wish all the Blak Sapphires they've collected into a larger gem, perhaps a huge gem or artifact that serves much the same purpose of the matrix. Then you have all the souls together, sharing eternity with their battle brothers/sisters, family, and ancestors. Still trapped, I guess... but better than being obliterated by Limbo or a dozen other hazards.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Tue, May 09 2017, 1:40 AM 

Player

I mean, I'd be lying if I didn't admit my first proper character, Anen Amana, wasn't heavily influenced by Batman (the movie version), from his past as a ninja-like monk, to using his fists as his weapon of choice. I tried to make him a medieval version of Batman, in essence.

Then comes Earalenia. As I rebuilt her and enforced her as that greenclad sword-wielding drow ranger, her resemblance to Drisst was completely lost on me, I had never heard about him before I created her! Earalenia was, in her simplest form with only her build in mind, based on Link. Therefore she was built to be able to use the sword and shield as her main weapons, but also the bow. I wanted to avoid making her a wm as that would make her stuck in heavy armor, and some sort of knight wasn't the feeling I wanted for her. I wanted her to feel like Link, sort of, a small agile fighter that despite the unimposing look managed to accomplish great things. Of course Earalenia had a lot of complexity added on top of that, so I don't think anyone ever could have told!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 24 2017, 6:04 AM 

Tester

Not modeled after anything from any other media in particular, but this "nuke arrow" idea was always an interesting attempt at weaponized magic technology.

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:47 PM 

Player

Magic-Technology can also be used for some nice things!!!

I think I've RPed Adela having the idea to create this device once...

1- Get a squared Metal (or whatever other resistant material) box with one of its sides open.
2- Inside the box you place an Item with a Command Word to activate and deactivate it that would cast continuous Gust of Wind.
3- On the open side of the box, place some metal rods and then cast Chill / Heat Metal on it.

Done! You've made yourself a Heater / Air Conditioner!

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 27 2017, 17:10 PM 

Player

Sylveera Guststride is litterally just a mixture of Sylvanas and Valeera for main name and then Windrunner tweaked. I pretty much know more about Warcrafts old cheesy setting elves than I know about Faeruns. Although I should been more creative with the name and studied up more on the Elves in Faerun, Im learning new things all the time as I play the "Elf that grew up in a human town" kind of Elf who is unsure of her own culture but has her views of it and such. It makes me feel a bit dirty when I think about it. The concept is pretty much a High Elf Ranger. Shooting Trolls and undead.

Budly Bundly was me back in the days trying to find a The Hobbit or LOTR Hobbit like name and I was probably thinking of Al Bundy at the same time. And off a boat in Old Cordor in like 2005-06 comes Budly Bundly.

I played a Paladin on POTM, I know another server (But Ravenloft is reachable from Forgotten Realms, in a way :D), that was heavily inspired by Legion Commander in Dota 2. It was a Paladin from Krynn, following a god of war and commanding as she, the paladin was wielding an halberd. She would hit like a train in her full plate but was pretty horrible if someone focused her. Over zealous, Always ranting at others poor organisation and looking for ways how to improve how to fight.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]