View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
Arkun

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 21 2017, 20:12 PM 

Player

Thread made for discussion on evil druid philosophy/thoughts:

So, evil Druids. I know some people think 'evil druid' and might think Blighter, but that's more like playing an Anti-Paladin - you're an Anti-Druid. You're everything a Druid stands against, even evil Druids.

So I thought I might open a thread for discussion on what it means to be an evil Druid and see if we can get some talk going on the mindset of an evil Druid and the challenges that they face on the isle of Amia, as well as talk about what it might mean to play an evil Druid from my point of view - and my POV only, mind - something that isn't 'this is the lore, you stick with it or you suck', because people play characters, not classes!

To start with, I figure I'll go over what I think constitutes an evil Druid, or ED now for short. An ED is someone who worships nature and the darker aspects of it, the hunt, the kill, disease, poisons, all the sort of nasty things that nature itself provides and is completely natural and oft-times required for the betterment of the balance of nature. Some things have to die, some things need a good rot and disease to thin out the numbers so they don't eat a place empty and devoid of life, and so on. This obviously puts them into conflict with those more aligned to the 'good' side of nature, and I use 'good' sparingly as when you make a Druid mad, no matter the alignment, they're going to make your day rather awful.

An ED will go out of their way to keep nature at the forefront of their lives. They believe that building a huge city and deciding to expand it is an awful idea, after all, you're basically shoving nature out of the way to make way for what you want, and you're about as important as a spec of dust in the grand terms of Nature. They'd think that people - when allowed to run rampant - are an unnatural festering disease, a blight on nature itself. Growing and consuming with no respect for the balance of Nature. Growing crops is fine, sure enough, but when you cut away and specifically cultivate large bits of land so that you can grow crops and farm animals, chasing away all the natural beauty of the land and replacing it with your finely managed farmland? That's awful. You've ruined things. Some of the goodlier nature deities will want Druids to instruct people on how to live in harmony, how to grow in harmony, but for an ED? You might've given them a warning - or you see how far they've spread and you know you have to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

But what is it to worship evil nature deities? Aren't most of em' chaotic evil? Sure. That's true. Unlike a Cleric, though, that can go all around the spectrum, and be CE with their deity and be all the nastiest parts of them, you're a Druid. You're Neutral Evil, or maybe True Neutral, it's all up to the player here. But, the Neutral part is the important bit. You're a Druid. You're here to keep the Balance of nature, be it good or bad. If you're giving worship to an evil deity, probably more the bad than the good. The balance is the thing to keep in mind, though. You'll hunt, but not strip a land bare. You'll spread poison and disease, but you'll apply it where you think it helps the balance of nature. You'll ensure that nature comes first, comes paramount to all, and woe betide any filthy city dweller or paladin or cleric of some good deity that thinks all they need to do is spread some healing and tell you off - what do they know? They're ignorant to the cries of pain from nature, from watching your lush lands slowly be sucked dry from farming, from them diverting rivers to better feed their crops and supply their lives, from them chopping down forests to provide the wood they need, tearing apart things that have stood for generations before you - and leaving a /city/ in its wake. A city. Something horrible and hollow. Something dead and static.

So you're going to tear it down about their heads. You're going to summon all the bits of nature that give people nightmares, the creepy crawlies, the worst of the worst, and you're going to take back the land. You're going to tear down that city, you're going to kill and maim and spread disease and pestilence until the city is cracked wide open, and nature rushes in to full the gulf. Then, you patch things up. You make sure the disease doesn't wipe out all life. You hunt down some of the worst - and let some run free, so that there are predators and prey in the land again. You set the river straight. You encourage trees to break through cobblestones. You let ivy and weeds run wild. The crops are eaten, the lands left to run wild once more. You breathe in, and you smell life, and nature, and know all is good in your heart again. Even if you had to destroy a city to do it.

That's my take on an evil druid. What's yours? If I'm wrong in some place, please critique! Correct me. I'm looking to spread some Druid love in general here, get some talk going. If you think this should be in the Lore thread, I'll happily move it there too.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:25 AM 

Player

The good druid encourages the wolf pack near civlized lands to move elsewhere, where there is abundant territory and prey.

The neutral druid watches passively, and only makes sure the humans and the wolves don't kill each other, or that the land becomes poached or overhunted.

The evil druids brought the wolves in to begin with.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 22 2017, 9:42 AM 

Player

The strong eat the weak, animals commit atrocities any functional society would demonize, and nothing is as cruel as nature.

That's your evil druid.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 22 2017, 14:43 PM 

Player

Evil druids in my eyes are the sort who may or may not give you a warning for breaching the natural laws of strength and balance, and if you deviate warned or otherwise pestilence, rot, and systematic slaughter with the agenda of returning to balance is brought. You can plead your case, but balance isn't stone walls defending humanized cattle grinding away at a system of shiny baubles.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 22:11 PM 

Player

This is probably off-topic but,

I have ALWAYS wanted to play an evil druid... from the moment I came to Amia you can see me asking questions about druids, it's my favorite class

However I quickly found out they'd be very unpleasant to play socially in Amia. And having fun and having companions and a community is what really makes a character grow and keeps you from your alt-itis.

You're evil, or visibly hang around evil people, so the 'good' PCs will love to ostracize you, as well as the good druids. Malar or Talosians aren't even allowed in the Grove I think? If you explore the forest too much elves will beat your ass.

You're a druid though, so you can't stand to hang around necromancers and dusty old buildings where all the 'outcast' PCs go or just be all cool incognito and go hang out in cities.

What do you think about that?

Now that isn't to say you can't have fun being a villain, I fantasize about it often, but the attitude most people seem to have towards them here is unfortunate- it's not dynamic, playful, dramatic or story-driving, it's like "I win I killed u ur dead I am now messaging the DM to see how long I can permanently imprison you for". That coupled with being an outcast in 2 of the groups I might actually be able to RP in, just sounds exhausting. Who knows. Maybe I'll be brave enough one day.

I think I am brave enough to roll a neutral druid and hang out with you though. 8)

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 23:00 PM 

Player

talos and auril make good evil druids imo.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 23:05 PM 

DM

Most of the grove is predominately neutral, just an fyi. An evil druid could work with in the current community if done right.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03 2017, 23:11 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
Most of the grove is predominately neutral, just an fyi. An evil druid could work with in the current community if done right.

arn't most druids neutral?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Arkun

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04 2017, 4:03 AM 

Player

The laws of the grove prevent worship of 'vile' nature deities, so you couldn't worship any of the evil deities, so you'd probably play one of the evil 'good' nature deities? Which would probably result in the issues that Blue Moon brought up. You'd be ostricized. S'why my evil druid is a UD Druid. Not many people down there in the first place, but I get to do the culling the abominations / undead RP that I enjoy.

Honestly, I am playing my evil druid as a more 'cities are evil' sorta person, while planning down the line to do something to generally upset the goodies, but I know when that moment comes I'll probably end up having to hide in the UD, but that's something to plan and enjoy down the line.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04 2017, 5:54 AM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:

I would argue the Oakmist Vale has a very strong Good leaning bent due to its history and relations.

Kudark

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04 2017, 6:12 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Maverick00053 wrote:

I would argue the Oakmist Vale has a very strong Good leaning bent due to its history and relations.

*smiles wryly*
Ah, but you see, Mav is talking about the people in the Grove, and Tormak seems to be speaking of how the Grove in general, is perceived by others, based on the actions of the Grove as a whole. I'm glad to see the Grove is viewed this way, carry on.

If you only knew...

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 04 2017, 8:26 AM 

Player

No, I'm aware. Don't patronize me.

Arkun

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05 2017, 4:52 AM 

Player

I'm more talking about the fact that the Grove outright bans the worship of evil nature deities, so if you wanted to play a Druid of those, you're kinda right out.

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05 2017, 5:08 AM 

Player

Arkun wrote:
I'm more talking about the fact that the Grove outright bans the worship of evil nature deities, so if you wanted to play a Druid of those, you're kinda right out.

I think it only bans a few, and of the 'furies' I think only malar and talos are banned.

Quote:
the Oakmist Vale Grove invites you to a public meeting inside the Grove. Please mind, that those of Malar, Talos or Talona do however not go well with the faiths of this Grove and are hence not invited.

viewtopic.php?f=175&t=88172

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Arkun

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05 2017, 5:26 AM 

Player

Faiths: Malarites
Banned From: Grove and Forest

Faiths: Talonites, Aurelites, Followers of Talos and Umberlee
Banned From: Grove
Closely Watched: Forest

Faiths: Vile and Destructive Deities
Banned from: Grove
Closely Watched: Forest

That's from the Oakmist Vale's ban list, which is what I was running offa. I didn't see that post you linked Commie before - but that's neat! Admittedly, I have actually been in the Grove more than once on my evil Druid, I'm just saying you can't be an 'open' worshipper otherwise yer in trouble long-term/can't be a member of the Grove.

Vinasius

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05 2017, 5:41 AM 

Player

I used to play on Amia awhile ago. I played an evil druid lycan known as Pantheros Sylvanight. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had role play wise and highly recommend it. A few insights into his mind might shed some light on the OPs question. Pantheros is a druid in service of Malar. He actually sees the world through the eyes of malarite dogma and actually believes he is doing nature a great service by culling the weak and ensuring the strong live. He hates anything to do with civilization and actively sought characters to kill that encroached on the Forest of Despair. It was a tough character to play socially, but I made it work by going undercover most of the time. The grove hated him and so did many more, but he supported the good guys as and when there were DM events that threatened nature. Ie. the war in Caraigh. So that actually left him in good stead with some neutral and good pcs. It was overall immensely rewarding. The trick to how I made it work was to act as if my character believed what he was going was ''good" and in natures best interest. Those that were blinded by zeal and religious fervor were disillusioned in their hatred to him. Ie. the followers of Silvanus/Grove etc. That was his viewpoint anyway and his role was to enlighten them.

Artorious Godstrike- Paladin of Torm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]