View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:20 AM 

Tester

What factions or cultures of other fiction would you find cool to incorporate into the Realms? For example, I and a few players have talked about a "Witcher" organization, perhaps starting out of Halruaa with House Jordain or Magehounds, Thay, Cultists of the Shattered Peak, Selunites, or some other group that would have needs and means to create people who hunt down strange monsters and magic. Anyway, this is just fun food for thought. I'm interested to see what others would secretly love to see in a campaign.

For me:

The Eldar

The What: A dying race of super sophisticated space elves who live on giant space ships and harness the Weave Warp into terrifying powers and solid material called mythal wraithbone.

The How: I figure Star Elves could be a candidate for an Eldar-inspired group. Though supposedly they're all holed up in their own pocket dimension, it could be possible some went their own way when they broke off from the original plane. If we were to tepidly step into Spelljammer--which I will be shot at for even mentioning--the IEN(Imperial Elven Navy) could be a dead ringer. Or perhaps some contingent of Elves ran off with their own spelljamming hulls to do something of their own back during the Crown Wars.

Either way, I feel like Eldar Culture could match very well to some form of traditional Elven stuff in FR. The idea of Paths in Eldar culture could be explained as a reaction to the Crown Wars and not wanting their society to go down that path again. Spirit Stones, stones that capture and hold an Eldar's soul upon death so it can be returned to the craftword and join the clan consciousness, could easily be a modified version of Tel' or Selu'kiiras. Maybe they pissed off or moved beyond Corellon sometime in the past and now have to fend for themselves when it comes to an afterlife.

Last edited by Dark Immolation on Mon, Oct 31 2016, 3:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:24 AM 

Player

Zerg swarm pre kerrigan.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Suhjet

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:38 AM 

Player

>eldar

If that's the case, I'm gonna want a lot of Adeptus Mechanicus gnomey fuckers around to turn everything into a science fair project.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:39 AM 

Player

did the eldar like get so hedonistic they actually birthed a chaos demon of sin or am i thinking of the wrong fictional universe

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Gribbo

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:46 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
did the eldar like get so hedonistic they actually birthed a chaos demon of sin or am i thinking of the wrong fictional universe

That's how slaneesh was born and the eye of terror created, with the resulting warp storms basically ruining human ftl civilization

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 6:49 AM 

Player

so basically amia elves

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 7:44 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
so basically amia elves

absolutely obliterated.

Also!

I thought about the same Witcher idea here. I was actually planning on advancing RP like that, and it could pretty nicely work in theory ... but, ideas come and go.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 17:17 PM 

Player

There are space elves in the FR universe. See Evermeet Skyfleet and where the first ship came from. Or see where Kymil Nimesin recruits his sun elves with the aid of Lolth, Malar and Ghaundahaur to attack Evermeet. These space elves who live in other worlds and fight with orcs (who also live on other worlds as well) are not much different from the elves of Toril.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 28 2016, 23:46 PM 

Tester

Lutra wrote:
These space elves who live in other worlds and fight with orcs (who also live on other worlds as well) are not much different from the elves of Toril.

I know, which makes them sort of lame. It's a fine line between Space Elves and Elvessss innnnn Spaaaaace.

Another thought. LeShay elves could qualify for something like an Eldar, given the remaining ones have survived some ineffable doom of their race and civilization. But they're really too passive in terms of mentality. Also, all the innate magical abilities make it less likely that they'd have the need to develop awesome magical artifices and technology. Though maybe that could have been part of their story, too. They were once all about that stuff and it led to their demise, and now they live peacefully off of their own(lame) natural abilities to avoid a similar downfall once again.

Lutra

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:26 AM 

Player

Well..they are more advanced. For example..the Evermeet Elves needed a decade to reproduce the helm of the ship that was the key of their flying ability.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:41 AM 

Player

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:50 AM 

DM

Is that Sabriel?!

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 4:38 AM 

Player

There are people out there currently RPing "Witchers" though generally speaking, no cares. I have had characters in the past that make use of the job system to be witch/undead hunter/ mercenaries and even have gone so far as to invite others along for my jobs. Ther rewards for the jobs IG are rather lackluster, as well as the xp given. Currently The Wave and Serpent is the best outlet to reflect such a vocation and there was a request for an actual PRC by Crazycatlady which was denied that falls within these lines. Sweet idea, and many, many things are possible via travel through Sigil, but I loathe the day I am forced to fight ~fungus~ fungi in the shape of Orcs.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 16:45 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:
Is that Sabriel?!

8)

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 23:15 PM 

Tester

Funny thing, I didn't know about that series until I looked it up after seeing the picture. Then I found a copy at work today(I work at a warehouse that has in it, among a thousand other things, tons of books).

Sabriel seems like a good candidate for some sort of Bard variant.

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 01 2016, 4:00 AM 

DM

I love that setting. Garth Nix is one of my favorites.

Definitely a bard variant! Like a weird Bard Necromancer thing. :D

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 25 2016, 2:54 AM 

Tester

Revisiting this, the Githzerai might be a neat Eldar analogue, or maybe a mash-up of them and the Tau. They're not elven, but they are godless heathens who value their own gray shades of progress and freedom above all else. I assume since Illithid have spelljamming capability, so too would the Gith somewhere down the line, if from nothing else but stealing the hulls of the Mindflayers they kill. The most alike thing I see is their philosophy of following paths to find their own purpose and destiny in the multiverse. Dak'kon from Placescape: Torment would fit right in with a group of Farseers. The races even have specific names for those that combine the paths of mage and warrior(Eldar:Warlock::Githzerai:Zerth:Githyanki::Gish).

Speaking of the Githyanki, they aren't really like the Dark Eldar, but given their warlike nature, I'm sure they get a fair share of kicks from gladiatorial matches and torturing mindflayers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]