View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
Bernardascoffee

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:54 AM 

Player

So, I've been thinking for the past few days about a dragon disciple concept, since I've never actually done one in my life that was DnD legal (the only one was a pal/bard/DD, and kicked ass but ended up scrapped to pass off as a WM or something). I was thinking one of any of the lawful dragon disciples (gold, silver, green, etc) who'd worship Io, the god of everything that is dragon. I've done research into his lore, how his followers worship and interpret him. The DD would be lawful neutral, most likely, as chaotic neutral is 1., too common, and 2., is too open-ended.
I kind of need to know the rituals that take place when one is becoming a DD of any kind and I have no clue about where to look for this. I know I could just Google it, but frankly, that'll lead me down a 4E road or something because that's what those fam-bam new spangled Neverwinter MMO players use and would be most relevant for shit like that, but Amia, we're all about the good ol' 3E/3.5E.
I have a build idea down. The classic 16bard/4fig/10DD. I'm not sure what this server does with Half-Dragons, whether you become a Half-Dragon through roleplaying further rituals past 10DD, or if you get it at lvl 10 DD, or something else entirely. Like I've said, I know little about Dragon Disciples beyond "I pledge myself to X dragon god, I awaken my blood through ritual, Redbull gives me wings, etc"

Virgil Kelten

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:30 AM 

Player

Look into other dragon types. Sand, Steel, Song ect...
The best advice I can give you is learn the dragon type before making your request. Understand also that deviance from the normal dragon types will not support a breath weapon and possibly, wing color. Make sure you read the 3.5 description of the Dragon as well. In my case, the 4.0+ version of Mercury is waaaay different than the 3+ version in both personality and motives. Build the character because you love it. If you have machinations that it will be awesome mechanically you will be fiercely disappointed. RDD is seriously a weak class. The build you are going for is more so, as you will be losing a lot of feats in order to get one measly APR. Consider DC or KC... *coughs* Sorry. Your lack of lasting inspiration hurts me with that much bard planned. Still. If thats your build its a tried and true, average performer. It won't be broken and will fill in the holes in any party. Things to think about when making your request is that your character is a Bard. What are is motivations for persuing the disciple path?What character quirks put him in line with his dragon type? What does he eat for breakfast?! It's a nonstandard dragon so the DM's will want to see that you are putting in the work, not just making a beautiful snowflake for the lulz. Especially Mav. *Eyes Mav warily.*

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Bernardascoffee

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:09 AM 

Player

Thanks for the response.
While every bit of this information is useful, and I fully appreciate the advice and will take it full-heartedly, I still don't know anything of what I asked to know. The build bit is actually very helpful, and I suppose does tell me a lot, but if you think you can come up with something better, or can tell me what another good class would be to replace one of these that would also support the idea of a worshipper of Io (KC is just a little too out of my range of interest, DC is a boring concept to me, but at the same time, might make a good alt to Dragon Disciple if I'm going to go the preacher route).
I still don't know what the rituals that take place for a Disciple are. These are all things I definitely need to know, or else I can't play the character unless an alternative is given that we can work out together, since this -is- the concept forum and I want to make a semi-efficient concept. I'm fully interested in putting in the work, and don't expect this to be a god-tier build in any way.

Virgil Kelten

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 7:03 AM 

Player

You can request a half dragon, that I am tracking. My current path with my most recent is long term to achieve that staus through apotheosis and further rituals. Still waaay to early to put in that request. I had to sort of scrap my other idea, because apparently if you erase and levels of RDD, the penalty the server gives you to str is doubled. Was not aware of that.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 7:20 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I'm on speed dial for anything and everything dragon, not just chromatic!

First, the lawful bit; be any kind of dragon that has lawful, standard or non, as the other poster has mentioned (thx jace)

Second, the RDD rituals; there's no single agreed procedure. The only defined restrictions are that it has to be voluntary, you have to have a blood source to awaken, and you must slowly grow to emulate your dragon in personna -- due to how the rite affects the mind.

Third, build things; I highly suggest you consider routes that are less bard heavy too -- though I don't want to box you into one if your concept is different.

Fourthly, Io; please for god's love don't be like every other Ioite disciple and kobold the server has had and be a walking meme. Asgorath isn't a free pass to Kurchin on a Chromatic; and it definitely DEFINITELY isn't a free pass to get along with the kin of a dragon type that is normally a natural foe. Ioites almost invariably distort his teachings to their own ideal; and even if they don't, standard Chromatics and Metallics should never get along without restraint. Period.

Same for shadow dragons and radiant, for abyssal drakes and basically fucking everything else, and the same goes for the various gem dragons amongst themselves.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 7:25 AM 

Player

it has to be voluntary? No 'I didn't ask for this?'

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 7:53 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=69066

*all right.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:00 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
it has to be voluntary? No 'I didn't ask for this?'

Pretty much one of Draconic lineage has to undergo a series of loosely defined (seriously. Try to look that shit up) rituals, step by step making you more Draconic and ending in apotheosis. Which...has all kinds of cool perks in the source that you won't see here. Getting stronger is just part of it. You are even supposed to get tooth and claw attacks and dragon sense. I suppose you could be forced into it...maybe. Though I'm not sure how the DM's will view it. In my opinion (and it's only my opinion) would make a very conflicted character...especially if he ended up with murderous inclinations from chromatic blood.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 15:33 PM 

Player

The link SOA provided pretty much says it all. There's not much room for interpretation there and at the time it was written, the poster was a DM. It's always a choice, always rituals, and you have to be within 1 of the alignment of your ancestor. The half dragon thing was removed on Amia. You have to request the race of half dragon, since it's far more than a disciple. A disciple is just that, someone who follows, someone who devotes their life to something. You're bringing out those few drops of dragon blood you have in your system. No one can force you to become a DD, it's just not how it happens on Amia.

Last edited by That Guy on Tue, Sep 27 2016, 17:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Bernardascoffee

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 17:42 PM 

Player

Thank you all very much for the responses.
These are very helpful comments, and I appreciate it. Thank you for the definition (the the lack of said definition!) of the rituals, as that's what I really needed to know. I read some interesting stuff on that link, and was wondering where I might get a copy of the Draconomicon and the Dragons of Faerun so I can fully understand the morals and ideals of each dragon type.
Other than that, I may reconsider for a better build if bard really isn't something I'd want so high. I'm not exactly the most informed on what might be a good build, but I have a few in mind that may or may not work out.

Virgil Kelten

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 17:55 PM 

Player

Boop
Races of the Dragon and the Draconomicon.

I-I don't have an obsession or a problem. H-honest

*all right.

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 21:12 PM 

DM

My stand-in Dragophile, right there.

Dragons of Faerun is a tad more elusive these days, but I have a copy. If you still need it when I get back to a computer...

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 22:43 PM 

Player

Ethereal dragons are always neutral. (Shameless plug for one of my faves ^^)

But yes, what the others said! Happy hunting, the Dracinomicon is a good read.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]