View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 9:25 AM 

Player

Perhaps an odd question but how good is a drows sense of smell when compared to a humans? Can they smell blood from a hundred paces? Can they smell the burning embers of a village torched by war a mile away?

Jaws of Ice

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 10:52 AM 

Player

Their sight is the same as any elf's when not hindered by light sensitivity. They can also hear as well as any elf.

Sense of smell? Same as a human's, elf's, dwarf's, what have you.

My characters' portraits: Link

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 10:54 AM 

Player

Well, their eyesight adapted to the darkness which means that there is no reason for their other senses to get stronger (beyond the part that they are still elven so their senses are bit better in comparison to humans = that's where Keen senses and bonuses to spot and listen come from).

CET time zone

walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 11:07 AM 

Player

Okay, thanks, that is helpful. :)

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 14:13 PM 

Developer

Since this is the concept forum, you could make a deaf-mute character who has learnt to rely on her enhanced sense of smell to nose out trouble!

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 21 2015, 21:09 PM 

Tester

I would say equal to any other elf, perhaps slightly more acute? I'm not sure if the living in darkness thing would really affect their other senses; after all, they can still see in darkness, so it's not like they have to make up for the lack of other senses. They still get the Spot, Listen, Search affinity as a regular elf. Though these senses are somewhat dulled in Light Sensitivity, I can't imagine why daylight would affect a Drow's sense of smell, other than an unfamiliarity with day-time smells, which would be at the discretion of the player. However, I could see smell being stronger in Drow because of their constant need to be aware of poisoned food and drink in their society.

Getting technical, Keen Sense might not mean Elves hear better than other humanoids, but instead more readily pick up on what their senses are telling them. They're treated as actively searching for things, even when they're making a passive check. An elf leisurely strolling down the street will spot a penny on the ground, as if they were actually looking for that penny. But a human/dwarf/etc can do the same if they stopped and take the time to apply their whole senses, which when fully exercised may be stronger than the Elf's if they've invested in whatever skills being RPed. I personally imagine Keen Sense gives my drow, well, keener senses, but I fault no one else for claiming better ones without it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]