View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Solamaroq

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 0:16 AM 

Player

Hi, just coming back after a long hiatus to dive into Amia a bit again.

This is the current build I'm running on my main. As you can see...I forgot Epic prowess and he's a dual wielder. I don't think my AB will get high enough at endgame to be relevant. How can I fix this? Deleveling a bit?

http://imgur.com/tbxNV

Secondly, I need two generic, cookie-cutter builds. Returning this time with my girlfriend who has -never touched any form of DND games- but enjoyed watching my random RP, she decided to play. She wants to play a Cleric, or something basic. I'm looking to make a standard Arcane archer, so that I'm not dealing with the same AB issues if I progress. She hasn't explored Amia at all and I don't want a crippled build or gear to be an issue for her, so as cookie-cutter and effective as possible would be best

Thanks for looking.

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:21 AM 

Tester

Solamaroq wrote:
Hi, just coming back after a long hiatus to dive into Amia a bit again.

This is the current build I'm running on my main. As you can see...I forgot Epic prowess and he's a dual wielder. I don't think my AB will get high enough at endgame to be relevant. How can I fix this? Deleveling a bit?

http://imgur.com/tbxNV

Secondly, I need two generic, cookie-cutter builds. Returning this time with my girlfriend who has -never touched any form of DND games- but enjoyed watching my random RP, she decided to play. She wants to play a Cleric, or something basic. I'm looking to make a standard Arcane archer, so that I'm not dealing with the same AB issues if I progress. She hasn't explored Amia at all and I don't want a crippled build or gear to be an issue for her, so as cookie-cutter and effective as possible would be best

Thanks for looking.

I think if its her first character and is not familiar with DnD or forgotten realms etc, she should not play a cleric as the lore and RP is a bit steeper. I think you should stick with something easier to gear and easier to play with looser lore. Fighter, Rogue, Ranger even. Limit yourself to the more melee classes. As far as gear build it to either have epic dodge if you go rogue or drop some DC in there to get extra saves to make life easier. 16 Rogue 10 DC 4 fighter is lovely as is 10 DC 18 fighter 2 Rogue, 13 Rogue 10 fighter 7 wm is just lovely as well. Depends what she wants though. If you're running an arcane archer get her something with high dex so the rogue so she can be your aggro keeper and just shoot over her head and let her sneak attack and flank the bastards that try to run after you. high dex sexy rogues fit well with elves.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:27 AM 

Player

Pray for crits, with any build like that you are ultimately somewhat capped in what kind of AB you are reaching, though if you reach at least lower 40's it should be generally alright. Won't be great though should work.

As for the other two, it depends on what kinds of builds you want. The standard battle cleric set up are either 23 cleric/6 fighter/2 rogue (EWS and another epic feat compared to some other variants, but GD hittable), 24 cleric, 4 fighter, 2 rogue if you want greater dispel immunity or 23/24 cleric 5 fighter 1/2 rogue if you want EWS while still getting 4 APR.

For the caster variant, 29 cleric 1 Ranger (taken in epics for a Epic spell focus as a bonus feat) or 27 cleric 2 rogue 1 ranger (if you feel like occasionally turning on div power and go smack things) should do the trick.

AA: The strongest one is hands down 9 monk, 2 wiz or sorc, 19 AA. Got one of those, it kills things. Downside is you need to be lawful which is not usually the elf way to go, but outside of that, kite around, hit things with all of your attacks call shot them to your hearts delight, this build will do that and all while having a decent AC tops. (pro-tipp: buy owls insight scrolls, have a buddy cast them on you).

Alternatively there is 2 bard, 19 AA, 9 fighter, which probably features the highest AB you can reach on the server. This one has a lot more feats then the first version (which means you could for example fit weapon finesse and a weapon focus for a melee weapon in) and is alignment independent.

There are also some other variants, a lot of them depending on your preferred playstyle like 23 ranger, 2 bard, 5 aa which while lacking the awesome ability to penetrate any damage reduction, gives you another set of goodies like an animal companion to hide behind while pelting things with arrows, a handful of spells which if correctly applied open up a nice set of options. Or 21 bard, 9 AA which still hits things rather well while featuring a rather powerful bard songs and the other bard goodies.

I can throw something together for almost all of these, ultimately it depends on playstyle preferences.

Re: lore pretty much anything played on a roleplay server will require at least some amount of basic reading. A cleric is not that much more really. (Obviously, if we catch a cleric of Kelemvor with summoned undead, the fall widget is gonna be faster clicked then you can say "Oh I didn't read...")

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Solamaroq

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 13:08 PM 

Player

Thanks for the responses. She's not opposed to reading and is more interested in the Lore and RP side of things, but doesn't want to be incapable when playing as she's not messed with NWN as a game, so something mechanically not challenging is the goal. I'll let her know recommendations though. Soon as we manage to get Gog's NWN version to work..

On my initial build, by the way, forgot to mention I'm CL24 right now; http://imgur.com/tbxNV . Still think this needs Epic Prowess. Think I probably should've just taken it at 21 instead of ESF Hide?

For AA I think I'm leaning towards 2Bard/19AA/9F. Naturally high AB would be gracious as this would be a partner PC so wouldn't mind being more cohesive and less independent. Does this build suffer from AC without the monk levels? Would be interested to see the spread of these side by side. Are rogue levels ever worth taking for sneaks? 2Bard/19AA/9 Rogue?

Frozen-ass

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 13:31 PM 

Developer

If she likes to be a caster or fighter with awesome powers:

Maybe a far shot, but have you considered sorc for her? I mean you can legitimate rp the magic as "I dont know how or why i can blow stuff up.. i just can!" and accompanied by CHA that is nice.

And then she can heavy invest in lore, so that she can also legitimate read up in any thing she likes and then learn most of it ic, and other wise roll a lore check if she doesn't

If she wants to go fighter nuts, she can add some DD just read up the alignment type pick a nice dragon and rp it correctly (no cuddling black dragon of doomsday, or red dragon of epic death that goes: "meh i roll both ways") But She does have to know the lore your magic then probely came from a dragon being naughty some time ago

As for your build: i believe we already talked some if i remember correctly :D, if im on you can always hit me up

Maruz Blackfeet - Go team evil GO

Starter of the Mage revolution

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 13:48 PM 

Player

I'm using 'you' interchangibly for her and you, sorry for that.

Eh, sorceror. Ew. Just go Wizard. (I have a bias to Conj/Abj focus, and extended and maximise as spells) that, of course somewhat reduces you (or her) to a buff dispenser, but I personally find it hella fun and one of the easiest things to build, as you are ideally just invisible all the time. If you are a tad bit more careful than me, you could even get a decent AC, meaning even if you are seen, you are pretty surviveable, but my Wizzy dies only when I solo Abyss too quickly. (Epic SF Abj, Globe of Invulnerability 4 life)

But yeah, in general, a huge deal is preferred playstyle. I like watching my fully buffed Red Dragon stomp through everything at level 24, including some epic bosses.
I also enjoy sneakers.
Others enjoy left-clickers a lot.

I know I'm going against the norm, but a slight amount of Alt-itis can be pretty healthy. Better to be motivated in fifty characters than not be motivated to play the only one you have. My very first character on Amia was a greatsword Weapon Master, without tumble, who (as far I remember) also never would have used Expertise, therefore hanging at very low AC. Oh, and like 12 CON.

If you want Cleric, it probably is good to read up on that deity (that usually isn't too much reading) and maybe also some of the more common deities. If it's a more common one, the lore isn't too big of a problem. They are the most grapable in my opinion. The more obscure ones are a bit more difficult to get how their Cleric would act, but Clerics aren't too bad lore-wise. It's a bit more reading, compared to the 'no reading' you need for fighter. I mean, really human fighter, you need zero lore grasp.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 13:57 PM 

Player

If you want Epic Prowess, yeah you can just drop ESF Hide, but that does indeed require a rebuild of some form.

The fighter AA build will certainly have a lower AC and mobility then the monk AA build, yes! In regards to your second question, sure, additional sneak attack damage can be nice! Though in that case you don't really need the second part level anymore. Might as well go 13 rogue, 1 bard, 16 AA which gives you access to epic dodge.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Frozen-ass

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20 2017, 14:24 PM 

Developer

robbi320 wrote:
I'm using 'you' interchangibly for her and you, sorry for that.

tssk thats how rumours start! :lol:

robbi320 wrote:
Eh, sorceror. Ew. Just go Wizard.

yes me and my 2 high lvl wizzs agree! but was more refering to the "no lore needed, still a caster"

but yeah... if i where you, give every class a basic explenation en give some playstyle options! an then build on that

Maruz Blackfeet - Go team evil GO

Starter of the Mage revolution

Solamaroq

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:03 AM 

Player

Her class choice is mostly dependent on the accessibility and ease of playing the character. She's more than comfortable learning the lore and won't have any IC issues being involved with anything (it's sort of 'up her alley' with games she plays). But Amia, and NWN in general, isn't very friendly to players who can't grasp the game mechanics quickly and efficiently, especially if playing something squishy. I'd rather her not be hindered by OOC game mechanics and able to fully delve into the game without something like an awkward to learn / control PC (considering she has never played anything DND related).

Looks like I'm gonna have to partial rebuild my Monk or something though.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:10 AM 

Player

I consider the 12/2/16 Weaponmaster in a one hander with shield to be the easiest build to run on Amia. You can do most content pretty easily alone, you have strong farming ability to get GP for your consumables, and in higher levels you can do almost all content solo with varying amounts of consumable sue. The build is very easy to play and very survivable, and comes with UMD.

If she does want a cleric, I think the easiest cleric to run is 25 cleric 4 fighter 1 rogue, or 28 cleric 1 ranger 1 rogue depending on if you wanty to be more buff and crunch or spell spammy.

Others covered the AA stuff handily.

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:21 AM 

Player

i posted this;

viewtopic.php?p=1431729#p1431729

in the other topic. I think it's about as easy as you can get for a cleric build. you don't even need haste really you're auto-quickened, and 29/1 means its hella ez to build.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Solamaroq

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:31 AM 

Player

Last two guys nailed it. I'll let her take a look and see what she thinks. Thank you guys a ton. Finally after 3 nights, managed to get the multiplayer code from Gog, so hopefully we'll be seeing you all shortly on some fresh faces.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]