View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
TheRogue

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 25 2016, 5:13 AM 

DM

I'm trying to make a decent, hard hitting build; I was thinking monk, but what sort of feats should I take? What stats should be the foci and what face is best for hand to hand?

Suhjet

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 25 2016, 5:18 AM 

Player

Hard hitting? Like with just fists? You'll want at least 20 monk for that, with some fighter or DC thrown in for the AB. Strength or Dexterity focus? If you're going for huge AB, it's gonna be fighter+weaponmaster.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 25 2016, 6:41 AM 

Player

The easiest build in the "Hard hitting" category would be 2 bard, 18 rdd, 10 fighter. It's more survivable with less gear/ trinket dependency. Dev crit is optional.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 25 2016, 21:03 PM 

Player

12/2/16 WM is easier than RDD IMO and will be more consistent high end damage. You're also not vulnerable to dispels nor pigeonholed in your RP.

If you want unarmed melee combat I suggest 25 monk 4 fighter 1 rogue, or 23/6/1 if you want 4 fighter pre epic so you can get the 6th unarmed attack, but trade 1 AC and 10% movespeed for it - i don't consider it strictly necessary personally.

monk feats are pretty open. Get your basics: If you're human, take Luck of Heroes and Strong Soul. Get your wep focus and imp crit, blindfight and toughness. Basically everything else you want you get for free. I don't recommend going Dev on monk, but if you want it you need to pick up both power attack and then Great Cleave.

Other good monk things: 23 monk/1 rogue/7 WM - this one is a pain in the ass to make stats wise and forces you to go either Kama or Quarterstaff unfortunately.

You can replace Fighter with Divine Champion and trade epic wep spec for saves. I don't recommend this.

You can do 24 monk/6 shadowdancer if you want HIPS, and Epic Dodge if you're dex.

There's also a bunch of builds that do lower monk but they tend to be weapon focused, not fist focused. Wanting 20 monk limits what you can do elsewhere a lot, and I consider stopping points to be 1, 3, 6, 9, and 20+ monk.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 26 2016, 12:35 PM 

Player

Bane of Enemy rangers are pretty hard hitting, their advantage over wm's is more skill points and the animal companion, and they are not so reliant on crits which makes them more useful against constructs and undead.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 26 2016, 16:05 PM 

Player

Hard hitting means high damage or high probability to hit? Or... both? Do you want highish dmg to everything? Or stupid high vs some things?

TheRogue

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 4:11 AM 

DM

A bit if both

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 4:29 AM 

Player

scythe weapon master master scout. do not get dev crit, so no cleave/power attack etc.

standard fighter/wm pre-epic, but get disarm instead of knockdown.

level 20-24 take master scout, use your free master scout feat for great strength. make level 29 master scout for tumble, get a second great strength here.

everything else is as normal, but you end up with (i think) great strength 5, plus epic weapon focus/spec/prowess/armor skin.

master scout gives you 10% movespeed and perma freedom of movement, plus the master scout things that, on a wm scythe, are insane with 16-20x5 dmg, and you have the highest to-hit in the game I believe.

hits hard runs fast literally can't be stopped and god help anyone holding a dagger or other tiny weapon because your imp disarms will be attacks rolling at +8. it's unholy.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 5:06 AM 

Player

Don't forget the movement speed increase only works in wilderness tilesets. So anything that is not flagged that (obviously cities and towns, but unsure if caves and such would be included, can't recall how my MS moved in dungeons) won't matter.

Also you only get 13 WM, which sucks. And it is pretty feat starved. You are looking at:
7 base feats + 1 human feat + 5 Fighter feats = 13 feats
Exotic Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Dodge, Mobility, Expertise, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack are 7, leaving you with 6
Then you need Improved Critical, Blind Fight; 4 left
But then you need Skill Focus: Spot and Listen to qualify for MS, so you really have 2 feats.
You are stuck with the choice between KD and Disarm, and you are having to shove Weapon Specialization into epic, which sucks.
Though going 12 Fighter/13 WM/5 MS lets you end on at most a base 28 STR.

Your AB will be 48 base with a +5 weapon and fully buffed STR. So you are basically looking at something on par with the usual scimitar WM [hits often and pretty hard] (or the nasty Monkey Gripped Greatsword WM [less often, but more damage than scimitar], or even the also nasty warhammer WM [less often, but damn those crits, plus shield without spending DCs).

Also I can't remember what the ruling on Disarming in PvP is. Isn't it you can't used Disarm when you are fighting barehanded? Or something weird. Probably doesn't apply to a WM, but just mentioning it.

Oh, no UMD either so you are stuck with relying on potions and items, no scrolls or wands for you (or class/align restricted items).

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 5:29 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Don't forget the movement speed increase only works in wilderness tilesets. So anything that is not flagged that (obviously cities and towns, but unsure if caves and such would be included, can't recall how my MS moved in dungeons) won't matter.

Also you only get 13 WM, which sucks. And it is pretty feat starved. You are looking at:
7 base feats + 1 human feat + 5 Fighter feats = 13 feats
Exotic Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Dodge, Mobility, Expertise, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack are 7, leaving you with 6
Then you need Improved Critical, Blind Fight; 4 left
But then you need Skill Focus: Spot and Listen to qualify for MS, so you really have 2 feats.
You are stuck with the choice between KD and Disarm, and you are having to shove Weapon Specialization into epic, which sucks.
Though going 12 Fighter/13 WM/5 MS lets you end on at most a base 28 STR.

Your AB will be 48 base with a +5 weapon and fully buffed STR. So you are basically looking at something on par with the usual scimitar WM [hits often and pretty hard] (or the nasty Monkey Gripped Greatsword WM [less often, but more damage than scimitar], or even the also nasty warhammer WM [less often, but damn those crits, plus shield without spending DCs).

Also I can't remember what the ruling on Disarming in PvP is. Isn't it you can't used Disarm when you are fighting barehanded? Or something weird. Probably doesn't apply to a WM, but just mentioning it.

Oh, no UMD either so you are stuck with relying on potions and items, no scrolls or wands for you (or class/align restricted items).

almost everything on amia is flagged 'outdoors,' even some interiors.

build is

12 fight 13 wm 5 ms

10 10 pre epic

2 3 5 epic

Epic feats should be: great str 5, prowess, armor skin, epic weapon focus. i was wrong initially, you do not get weapon spec, you already do a crazy amount of dmg so the weapon spec isn't really needed, and the to-hit helps you crit that much more.

umd is over-rated as everything you would want umd for is available w/o it, from haste to imp invis to breach.

there is no rule to disarming in pvp barring "the disarm script didn't fire don't steal my weapon that fell onto the ground instead of just getting unequipped" which shouldn't really need to be said.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 16:41 PM 

Player

Well, the build isn't going to do that great against constructs or undead. Also you'll be starved on skillpoints, which is rough on a fighter/wm. With a scythe you'll also not be able to get a shield. Also scythes are really cheesy and out of place in the setting, imo.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 16:47 PM 

Player

You can get a shield with a scythe, in theory. But you will be hard pressed finding a MG expert who'll teach MG for a farming tool.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 16:54 PM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:
You can get a shield with a scythe, in theory. But you will be hard pressed finding a MG expert who'll teach MG for a farming tool.

yeah, a +5 vampiric massive crits farming tool that's killed 100's of giants.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 17:06 PM 

Player

Even the grass on Amia has Epic Damage Reduction. That's exactly the kind of tool you need!

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 17:14 PM 

Player

Amazing character concept. Devout LG farmer and follower of Chauntea that's a scythe wm.

When people ask him why he can fight like he does despite being a simple farmer, he simply replies with a forlorn expression, "I'm not like that anymore."

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 27 2016, 18:02 PM 

Player

Well, as far as I understood, if there really is nobody who will teach you something like shadowjump, DMs will teach it to you. So, I'd assume the same goes for MG. It's a thing that isn't too outlandish, so either you try to get it by yourself, or ask for someone who will teach it to you. I mean, there has to be a way to get it yourself, otherwise how would the first person have gotten it?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]