View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 11:28 AM 

Player

Welp, need a little build advice on this one, because I know before I even say anything this is going to be a pain in the ass.

Race: Goblin
Racial traits: +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -4 Charisma, +4 Discipline, +4 Move Silently, Darkvision
Alignment: CN
Build: 25 Bard/5 KC (Buffbard)

So it's less about "How do I do this build?" and more so "Has anyone ever played a character whose Subrace negatively affected their class?"

It seems that the most common clash is anything with a Charisma loss playing Sorc/Bard, but I know certain subraces just severely limit their usefulness in certain classes. I know this character is going to be a stunted bard, but I'm hoping for my eventual payoff (which I'm very excited to request when I get to it) is worth the uphill struggle.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Tarnus

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:14 PM 

Player

Ugh, quite a project you took on there. I suppose the most punishing one I did so far was a tiefling Blackguard, strengthbased with div might and shield. The best thing I can tell you is to take only the bare basics to qualify for the class on character creation and then bump up charisma on levelup. But honestly ugh... with goblin that is still going to be incredibly hard. You'll barely have any spells for the majority of the leveling up process (and will be unable to cast most of them until late in the character process). And given that you'll need to put almost all your points on level up into charisma, you won't be able to raise strength either. So... you'll be a bard without spells that doesn't do damage.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Mikaz

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 15:12 PM 

Player

Same as Tarnus, I've played a Tiefling Blackguard before and it was.. Enjoyable?

My build was 8 Fighter/5 WM/16 BG so the +2 Int/Dex helped the build, but the +1 Ecl and -2 Cha were both quite big setbacks building wise.

Playing and leveling the character wasn't that hard since I accepted from the start that Tieflings don't make great Blackguards mechanically, but lore wise the combo is great and that made sticking with the character easier.

I'd say just go for it, Bard/KC should have no problems convincing people to let them join their party(soloing shouldn't be much a problem ether), at least. I do recommend on using ranged weapon(Sling?) or Weapon Finesse to make use of some of the races stats and not let both the negative Charisma -and- Strength bother you.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 15:27 PM 

Player

Personally, I'd have to question the idea of a Goblin Bard and a Goblin KC. A bard is many things but, they are naturally charismatic, purveyors of the arts and beauty. A goblin feeling that way? Hmm, very rare. Then... a Knight Commander? This is also a very charismatic position, meant to inspire their troops, bring hope where there is none, etc. A goblin? Erm... to me, it doesn't really make a lot of sense for a low charisma race, that is THAT low to be in a position that requires charisma that much.

That said! This is Amia, so weird things happen and perhaps you've got some backstory that makes this work!

I've seen plenty of people pull off amazing things with negative stats on subraces. I know of one tiefling sorcerer that is simply amazing. I've made earth genasi sorcerer spellblades that were better than a human.... so, it's doable, but....

This build will not be better than a "typical" race for the same build. You have to accept that. If you're building to be uber? This isn't it. I know you're not after that, you just want something usable. It should be, in reality, you're talking about 2 points. 2 Points of either AB, or AC or both. Sure, levelling will be a royal pain, but, IMHO, it's always a pain. If you have the roleplay along the way, this shouldn't be that bad.

In the end, it will be a very versatile useful build, but I think you have a lot of roleplay thematics to consider.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 16:15 PM 

DM

I am reminded of Puff Shadowflame.

It's been done. As long as you don't mind being terrible at melee, but having a kick-ass song after you invest in crazy amounts of CHA, it's doable.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 17:51 PM 

Player

Sorry to come with lore into the build section, but I really could imagine a goblin Bard. Yeah, my goblins are more from Lord of the Rings, but I could imagine a drum-playing, chanting goblin. Seems pretty inspiring. I mean, a marching beat kind of already qualifies as inspiring, so why not a goblin playing it?
As for a 'typical' Bard, the image I have of a cheerful Bard would never use a curse song, so in the end, you have a lot of freedom to do what you want.

Build-wise, I think I would literally just try to brute-force my way past the minus in Cha, kind of like Tarnus was suggesting. I guess build like you would nprmally, but accept that you are in all ways inferior to everyone else.

Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 10 2016, 18:08 PM 

Player

Well I've since made him and brute-forced my way through the low CHA. It's nowhere near as bad as I thought, but I'm facing most of the issues Tarnus said.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Byrdkiller

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 17 2016, 2:31 AM 

Player

Birdkiller Halfling SD of Dallah Thaun
Obsiddia Blackskull Duergar Cleric of The Axe Priestess of Conquest

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]