View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 17 2016, 16:58 PM 

Player

Well, I made a character, actually planned the build a while ago, been playing him for ages, and now I wonder: What do you think? This is one of my first attempts at building, and I know there a couple of things I might have done better for the perfect build, but I wanted to ask anyway. For example, I know the thing about "never, ever end on uneven abilities!", I just didn't think about that when making him...

Well, here it goes.

Race: Chultan Human
Abilities:
STR: 10
DEX: 28
CON: 9
INT: 16
WIS: 9
CHA: 9

Levels spread:
Pre-Epic: 10Rog/2Ftr/8Ass
30: 10Rog/2Ftr/18Ass

Feats:
Stealthy, Ambidextry, TWF, weapon finesse, WF:dagger, KD, crippling strike, IKD, ITWF, blind fight, called shot, epic dex I, EWF:dagger, defensive roll, great dex II, imp evasion, epic dodge

Now, to talk about the build.
The main aim of the build was making a dex-based Assassin. Now, there are some strange things about this build.
I'll get the first one out of the way, and I realise that it reduces my AB by one. The weird abilities. This I don't care about, so no need pointing it out. Ideally, you would take out CHA and WIS, put at least one more in CON, and one more in dex. Then swap one epic dex for epic skill focus, armor skin or epic prowess.
Next, I'm not sure about public opinion here: Crippling strike. I would have at least two more AB if I had gotten rid of crippling strike, with the possibility of having a higher DC on assassin stuff. However, in my opinion, crippling strike at least looks great on paper. With each hit, you reduce a STR-based char's AB by one, and all characters' damage, fort save and discipline by one. Additionally, you reduce his carry weight, which can slow an opponent down. And all of this does not have any sort of save except AC...
His AC, assuming +5 gear, stands at 51, which puts him pretty much in decent AC (at least I think that still counts as decent AC)
Assassin DC is 37. This would mean that as long as you hit with a technique that targets a low save, you have a pretty good chance of disabling them completely for a while...
KD is for sneak attacks in combat, even though the AB reducing part is annoying.
Called Shot. Personally, I like this feat. But to go on with this... The reason called shot is here, is because it seemed fun. (And because I didn't know what else) The ideal way to attack with this build is KD,KD/CS,CS/CS. Five attacks per round. This makes KD have the higher chance of hitting, since it is more important anyway, and neglects called shots AB penalty. I usually go for attacking the legs with called shot, since each of these attacks (assuming they hit) would then reduce the opponent's DEX and STR by 2 each, so any type of build should in theory have a problem against this build.

Now, I talked about what is good here. Onward to what is not so good: AB. Completely self-buffed as far as he can get without any buff items, with a +5 dagger, this build would have an AB of, I think, 41. (Might be 40 or 42, nothing other than that)
Next, his HP. At level 30, he has a whopping 150 HP. I feel bad. For myself.

Now, if anyone finds any other mistakes in this build, or just has any suggestions on how to improve this, ideally while keeping crippling strike, please say. And DO NOT post a monk build. I'm sorry, I don't want one :D

Well, thank you for your time, and hopefully, your help,
Yours,
Robbi320

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 17 2016, 23:16 PM 

Player

More con, minimum 12. You really need epic weapon spec as well. I'd also strongly recommend going enough into fighter pre-epic that you can get 4 attacks and epic weapon spec in epic as you will be really really hurting for damage. I'd also take only assassin and 1 fighter in epic (fighter for imp weapon spec and disc dump at 30) and just go 19 assassin because assassin dc's are based on int/ass level. so 19 is better here.

Even out your odd stats, there's no reason to do it, and the RP difference between 8 cha and 9 cha is impossible to define, so no loss there.

I would advise against called shot as it requires you to hit (which is going to be on the low end given your class spread) and if it does hit, rolls against discipline, so you likely won't be able to do anything meaningful with it. If you're just picking it up because it's a dead feat level pick toughness or great fortitude.

I would also consider starting 16 base dex 14 base con 12 str and 16 int, ending you at 18 dex and 6 cha. This gets you a hell of a lot more bang for your stat buck then trying to force a 18/20 starting dex.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

treasured memories

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 1:31 AM 

Player

would prolly go 8 fighter/3 rogue/19 assassin myself.

12 str
20 dex
14 con
14 int
8 wis
6 cha

I think those abilities work?

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 2:13 AM 

Player

treasured memories wrote:

12 str
20 dex
14 con
14 int
8 wis
6 cha

no they don't at all. you could do 10, 20, 14, 8, 14, 6, but I think you're way better off dropping the 18 base dex to 16, ending with 18 post adjustment, and just getting +1 to all assassin dc's, more str, more con, etc.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

treasured memories

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 4:28 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:

12 str
20 dex
14 con
14 int
8 wis
6 cha

no they don't at all. you could do 10, 20, 14, 8, 14, 6, but I think you're way better off dropping the 18 base dex to 16, ending with 18 post adjustment, and just getting +1 to all assassin dc's, more str, more con, etc.

I'm sorry. . . drop str 10 not 12. keep 20 dex. all else is same.

alternatively you could drop dex to 18, and set you con OR int at 16, leaving two points left, to put them in str only. which I don't see as worth the trade. +1 ac/ab/hide/ms vs +30 hp, 1 fort save (which won't be an issue if geared right), and +1 damage OR +1 death attack dc and 32 extra skill points (which you won't need as a human with 14 int).

in my experience, when your ac is pushing 63-65 and you have epic dodge, ac becomes more precious. whereas 30 hp, does not. that's just me! I stand by my level spread, too.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 6:08 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:

12 str
20 dex
14 con
14 int
8 wis
6 cha

I'm sorry. . . drop str 10 not 12. keep 20 dex. all else is same.

alternatively you could drop dex to 18, and set you con OR int at 16, leaving two points left, to put them in str only. which I don't see as worth the trade. +1 ac/ab/hide/ms vs +30 hp, 1 fort save (which won't be an issue if geared right), and +1 damage OR +1 death attack dc and 32 extra skill points (which you won't need as a human with 14 int).

in my experience, when your ac is pushing 63-65 and you have epic dodge, ac becomes more precious. whereas 30 hp, does not. that's just me! I stand by my level spread, too.

i don't think it does really. once you hit the mid 60's in ac the difference becomes do they need an 18-20 to hit you on the first attack or a 19-20? and odv every attack after the first will need to be a 20 to hit anyway. compared to that +1 on your assassin dc's and an extra skill (which you can put in heal and just heal a shitload for free, or into traps and steal gauntlet traps for some actual fun) I just don't think the 20 dex starting is worth it compared to 18.

you could also do 19 starting dex and just have a free epic feat since you no longer need a 'great dexterity'

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

treasured memories

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 7:13 AM 

Player

and normally I'd agree. just not on the build I presented. or level spread rather. it should have enough skill points for all the junk you need. and 1 dc on death attack, meh. just my thoughts though, based on my experience here.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 8:22 AM 

Player

So, as far as I'm seeing it, should I just never get crippling trike? It seems like a good feat, but all your builds don't allow this...
Is epic weapon spec really that great? It is six damage against everything, but in my opinion, sneak attack waters that down quite a lot. It's only good against sneak-immunes, but against those, I'm f'ed anyway... And an epic feat? I'd rather take epic prowess, epic skill focus or armor skin...

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 12:50 PM 

Player

6Ranger/18Assassin/6Shadowdancer is a lot easier to play due to HiPs. Grab all the ranger before 20 for maximum BAB including 4 attacks per round. Starting stats are a little wonky due to needing 11Wisdom. You'll probably end up with something like

10STR/18Dex/12CON/13int/11WIS/6cha

You're quite feat starved so going Rapier > Dual daggers is probably easier too. Less DPS this way, but a non-HiPs sneak can be a serious pain

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 18 2016, 15:48 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
So, as far as I'm seeing it, should I just never get crippling trike? It seems like a good feat, but all your builds don't allow this...
Is epic weapon spec really that great? It is six damage against everything, but in my opinion, sneak attack waters that down quite a lot. It's only good against sneak-immunes, but against those, I'm f'ed anyway... And an epic feat? I'd rather take epic prowess, epic skill focus or armor skin...

well you don't always sneak attack and that damage really really adds up.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Akhlys

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 20 2016, 14:10 PM 

Player

fighter 10/ monk 1/ assassin 19 is best one
use kamas get 4 death attacks in your first flurry
10 str 20 dex 14 con 14 int 8 wis 6 cha

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 20 2016, 17:40 PM 

Player

Akhlys wrote:
fighter 10/ monk 1/ assassin 19 is best one
use kamas get 4 death attacks in your first flurry
10 str 20 dex 14 con 14 int 8 wis 6 cha

Guy said he didn't want a monk build. Come on.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 27 2016, 0:31 AM 

Player

14 fighter/7 WM/9 Assassin STR based is a fairly wicked build and easy to make. Dev Crit, Assassin Spells, all those goodies.

(should you decide to go something else then dexterity)

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 27 2016, 1:05 AM 

Player

if you do non-dex assassin keep in mind assassin spells still suffer arcane spell failure meaning good luck using them in combat with plate or whatever you use.

also assassin dc's are calculated using your assassin level, so either go hard into it (epic and beyond) or don't use it.

imo.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]