View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:32 AM 

Player

So the question is more or less evident as it's written. Am I summoning a red dragon with my Dragon Knight spell or conjuring one into existence for a short period? With the number of wizards capable of doing it I imagine there are a lot of angry dragons around if you just summon one in the middle of whatever they're currently doing.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:43 AM 

Player

Personally, I go with summoning/calling to your side as I'd rather RP mine as a persistent being and not some random thing that only exists for a short while. That way they can have their own sort of personality/backstory/RP.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:53 AM 

DM

Its summoned.

I am not a fan of people RPing the personality, background, etc of their dragon summon. The dragon is bounded to your service but they are by no means happy about it. No dragon would be happy about that.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:29 AM 

Player

Probably why it's summon duration is so short :P

DC taxation is theft!

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:33 AM 

Player

It's summoned, yep.

I disagree with Mav - I see no reason why, especially with metallics, an amicable agreement couldn't be entered into for summoning one.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:44 AM 

DM

That is fair. I think some metallic might consider it if the situation and partner was ideal.

On the other hand though I just don't think most people are capable of portraying a silver properly at all. It is something that is difficult to do DM side with the proper tools, and tricks on hand to really sell it.

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:54 AM 

Player

so should we like, as players, do something if we see someone being lame with their dragon summon pal? notify a dm or something?

is that what's wanted here? if someone is emoting their silver dragon playing waiter for them and other members of their party at some restaurant or something?

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:13 AM 

DM

Its a slippery slope.

We gave the players the tools to do it. We also dont have a rule against it. So while I might not care for it, it is usually fine. If it is being abused then contact a DM for oversight. Obviously someone emoting the silver as slaughtering virgins and drinking their blood for power wont fly.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:38 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
It's summoned, yep.

I disagree with Mav - I see no reason why, especially with metallics, an amicable agreement couldn't be entered into for summoning one.

This is exactly 100% the opposite of logical as to why good summoners summon good summons. It makes no sense and I'll explain.

You're a good archmage and in need of something stronger than you to beat the stuffing out of evil. Rending reality asunder, it's time to choose the being to enslave to your will, do you...

A) Choose a celestial or powerful being of good ethos?

or

B) Choose a fiend or powerful being of evil ethos?

If you chose A, you're somewhat a moron. First off, every celestial is a busy creature. Almost all of them serve either a Power of Good (capital G) or within the hierarchy of their plane. That is to say, odds are that Tome Archon or whatever you've brought to yourself was probably very busy guarding some post, ancient artifact of evil, watching some important personage or even waging a holy war. He's doing important stuff you're interfering with and you're harming your own ethos. These things don't just sit around, twiddling their thumbs, hoping you call.

On the other hand, if you choose B, you're enslaving a being of the opposite ethos to your will. You've stolen a fiend away from perhaps razing an innocent village to the ground, maybe ruined some deception it was perpetuating with it's sudden disappearance. Perhaps you've even saved lives by interrupting it. More importantly, you're forcing it into doing good works and more often than not, Evil beings are more combat-able, being built for violence typically.

That good dragon? Yeah, he's a busy guy. Odds are maybe he's fighting an evil dragon for the fate of a village at the moment. Maybe he's in human disguise tracking down some evil in a city nearby his den. He's a real being with his own agenda who's not sitting around hoping someone calls him for the 5th time today.

The evil dragon? Who cares what he wants?

That's why pnp let's you choose each time what you want/need. And no, it's not an "agreement." You don't sit around hashing out genie contracts with everything you summon, you simply enslave it and it has to do everything you say until the time is up.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:14 AM 

Player

Easy peasy. Epic dragon knight is a summoning (as opposed to a calling like the planar binding line) spell. Therefore it just creates a manifestation of the creature you're wanting to hang around (PHB 172).

Now the planar binding spells...

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 13:52 PM 

Player

Oh! The source clears it right up.

DC taxation is theft!

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 17:46 PM 

Player

Not as simple as it sounds. Conjuring up beings has 3 subschools. Summoning, Calling and Creation.

Creation - You create something completely new on the spot. Can be dispelled, don't believe it can be banished.

Calling - You call another being from a different plane. Creatures that die when called, die. They don't reform back on their primary plane. Creature will return to its plane after completing its task or its summoning limit expires. A calling summon cannot be dispelled, but it can be banished.

Summoning - Brings a creature or object to a designated point. If the summon dies it will reform from where it came in 24 hours. Creature will return to its plane after its summoning limit expires. A summoning summon can be both dispelled and banished.

Summoning =/= Creation

Edit for clarification - If you call a Demon through Planar binding, trapping it to prevent it from fleeing/teleporting out and kill it. It is dead, dead.
If you summon a Demon to the prime plane through any other means and it dies, it is not dead dead. It will reform on Baator.
This includes a Demon coming to the prime plane/a different plane of its own free will/doing.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14 2017, 23:44 PM 

Player

Quote:
And no, it's not an "agreement." You don't sit around hashing out genie contracts with everything you summon, you simply enslave it and it has to do everything you say until the time is up.

Mr. Treatmonk never taught you one of the biggest keys in The God's Playbook: How To Abuse Planar Binding To Get Permanent Buddies That Like You And Don't Want to Murder You?

wizard 101, dude.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 15 2017, 0:27 AM 

Player

im not gonna lie i really enjoy the rp that comes from having a 'hostile' servant and writing out the 'deal' that ends up with such an agreement.

i find it very entertaining.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]