View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 15:52 PM 

Player

Long ago, on Amia I remember hearing a story about Elflings, the odd and uncommon mix of Halflings and Elves. But looking around I am not finding much information on this online or I missed out on it. Since my character, Budly Bundly, for reasons and ingame events ended up with a wife that was a Drow Elf.

I wonder how far fetched this is and if it lorewise is really possible to have Elflings (Drow-Hin Elflings) at all.

And if so, what is their age span?

Beside that, I do wonder as a side question how many years on Amia is one real life year. I might be doing a lot of things wrong here in how I RP my character or how I portray him. But I am sure I heard of these Elflings before around here.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 16:00 PM 

Player

One day on RL is one day on Amia. A bit jarring with several nights going by but... seems best for consistency of knowing an actual date etc.

I dont recall much, if any, lore about elflings existing, unless some was made up recently for em. So.. would likely depend on DM teams stance on the matter (unless I remember incorrectly)

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 16:02 PM 

Player

Oh boy. Cause I aged Budly significantly.

I also seen some who have grown up children and such which been confusing me a bit. Someone told me it gone 30 years since I was active.

That might be an issue then. Guess we adopted the children? :lol:

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 16:05 PM 

Player

Always been a bit of leeway with letting children grow up, if really wanted, I found. Im sure its fine!

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 16:06 PM 

Player

Thats nice! Was considering making a bottle companion with one of his many daughters, visiting Amia and being annoyed at her confused old grumpy dad :D

I await some DM with the Elfling ordeal then to see what they think about it.

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 16:34 PM 

Player

Logically, Drowlings are perfectly plausible to exist. We already have the Half-Drow subtype for the Half-Elf subrace, so cross-breeding a Drow with a Hin is, in my opinion, a perfectly acceptable cross-race.

That said, as to my knowledge, there has not been an actual Drowling PC/NPC on Amia before.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16 2017, 16:36 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
Logically, Drowlings are perfectly plausible to exist. We already have the Half-Drow subtype for the Half-Elf subrace, so cross-breeding a Drow with a Hin is, in my opinion, a perfectly acceptable cross-race.

That said, as to my knowledge, there has not been an actual Drowling PC/NPC on Amia before.

Thats nice!

And that might make the bottle companion a bit more complicated.

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 17 2017, 22:48 PM 

Player

So, what about this? Is it okay to request a Bottled Companion?

Lutra

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 26 2017, 2:19 AM 

Player

I think it is a Tolkien thing in general when it comes to the lore of Elflings. Although there was a Dragon Magazine article about "Elflings" and "dwelves" once upon a time if my memory is correct.

Dergaii

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:13 AM 

Player

I think we have to make the difference between half-breeds that make for true half-races and those that are more of a one shot.

The first seem to be dominated by pairings with elfs and humans, giving us the known and classical half-races which can continue their bloodline as a half-race with others of its kind. Fey and dragons are also notoriously frisky with other races.

Next are the half-breeds that can produce offspring but either cannot reproduce at all or the children will not been a mix but will belong to only one of the parent's races. These half-breeds can be produced naturally or by the aid of magical aid/meddeling. I believe a drowling would fall under the second group.

An added factor or obstacle in this pairing could be the curse placed on the drow race. Does it actively impend them to have offspring with other races? From a RP perspective the story of a couple's quest to have children sounds kinda awesome and could generate some unique RP with priests, wizards, shamans, witches, fiendish pacts, etc.

(Types on my phone so a bit brief and surely lots of typos)

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 29 2017, 8:28 AM 

Player

Didn't find any mention of elflings in the dragon magazines. Only reference to elflings that I know of is from the Dark sun novels (Initially in the Outcast) which feature an elfling protagonist named Sorak that struggles with both aspects of his heritage. Other than the books which feature him, i've not been able to find any lore references to elflings, and mind Sorak is from a very different setting so his mixedracial traits and problems might not apply at all to FR elflings.

I always figured Elflings were homebrewn and as such, the team could create the lore surrounding them freely whenever questions arised.
After digging trough most of the lorebooks and lore forums, I've found no core or otherwise lore reference to elflings or other half-halfling type mixed races or chimeras, aside from the Sorak character I mentioned above and some stuff involving halflings and shield dwarves.
I also found this post, which sort of confirms that as this guy wasn't able to find any other references to elflings either, though it's entirely possible we both missed one and I only have dragon magazines from 1 to 335 and some annual ones.

However, as mentioned above, it makes perfect sense for Drowlings to exist if Elflings do, as drow and elves can crossbreed with the same races, something that's already established in lore references. (Though in these places it's mostly limited to humans, devils or demons crossbreeding with drow or elves)

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 12 2017, 20:27 PM 

Player

Interesting posts I missed, thanks for more bit of information! Im pretty sure I heard of Elflings once on Amia but that been probably 10 years or so ago. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]