View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:56 AM 

Player

How much power do the "new" deities have? I mean, some of them are dead by now, so how/why do they have power? Is it just some other deity posing as them? That could happen with quite a few, for example, IIRC, Shar sometimes takes up the guise of Ibrandul.
But then, Moander only has a tiny bit of power left. Are they getting the power from Lolth, as she kind of took over his worshippers? Or would Moander give his Clerics their power him/her/itself?
Myrkul?
Bhaal?

What is the general ruling on that?

Also, in the case of the "Seed of Moander". Does that need to be requested, even if it does not show at all?

I doubt a Cleric of Moander would survive very long, but it seems he might have some fun trying to spread rot around here. The Druids of the Grove would like him.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:22 PM 

Player

Those that are dead are often given powers by the deity who took over for them. The worshippers do not know that though, especially in the case of Ibrandul-Shar.

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:30 PM 

Player

Bringing the original deity back to life would also be very difficult, right? You'd need to find out that your original deity is dead, and then manage to bring him back to life while facing resistance from the original deity becasue he/she wants to keep you as his/her worshiper. Of course, you also would not have any reason to believe your deity is dead because you get power from worshipping him... *ponders that a bit*

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:31 PM 

Player

Bringing a dead deity back would be very difficult, yes.

Gribbo

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:52 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Bringing the original deity back to life would also be very difficult, right? You'd need to find out that your original deity is dead, and then manage to bring him back to life while facing resistance from the original deity becasue he/she wants to keep you as his/her worshiper. Of course, you also would not have any reason to believe your deity is dead because you get power from worshipping him... *ponders that a bit*

A diety only truly dies when no one remembers them any longer or a case of total destruction of their essence.

As long as their name is remembered they exist, a dead power is more their state of influence and connection to mortals than death as we think of it.

Certain dead powers are fully capable of granting spells as long as they have a container of essence on the prime or such. Crown of thorns and other places imbued with the divine work for it

Though in other cases the new holder of the portfolio does take over, it really depends on how much of the fallen god remains

Tyche is a good example in that her heretics probably receive from tymora if good beshaba if evil but not tyche her self as she was split

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 13:40 PM 

Player

Now, I've been reading a bit about Myrkul (no, I'm totally not completely hyped about the new deities all of a sudden) and at least Faiths & Pantheons (2nd edition source, so not neccessarily relevant to our setting, even though that does not make it incorrect) says thatMyrkul is not worshipped at all anymore. Most of Myrkul's clergy was absorbed into Kelemvor's. How does that affect me if I wanted to make a cleric of Myrkul? Would I not be able to make one, or would he not be able to summon undead?

I mean, the two main deities that took over for Myrkul are Cyric and Kelemvor. Both split him in half, in a way. Kelemvor has the real "death" part, but a bit more the "peaceful death". Myrkul used to have a big part of "fear of death"...
Cyric is kind of just the god of "madness" at this point, after he's taken over so many deities. I mean, lies, intriegue, corruption, murder...
Then, the closest I can find is Jergal, who reminds me a lot of Myrkul. Cold, Death... Then again, Jergal as far as I found references, also is not the biggest fan of undead, even though he does tolerate them. They also share the fact that both Jergal and Myrkul don't really raise dead, since it kind of goes against both. Jergal however, as far as I've understood, has a slightly more laissez-faire attitude, whereas Myrkul wants people to fear death and also Myrkulytes, which leaves Myrkul to do as he pleases.

The summary of this is: Who are priests of Myrkul likely getting their power from when they go along the lines of making people fear death? And what sort of restrictions does that entail, especially when looking at undead?

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 28 2016, 18:41 PM 

Player

Myrkulites can actually get their power from Myrkul, assuming you have the PnP feat equivalent that lets you worship dead powers. His divinity and essence still exist in the Crown of Horns.

In practice though, yeah, it's probably among Cyric, Kelemvor, and Velsharoon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]