View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:31 PM 

Player

Magic, in its nature, is the deconstruction of the river that is reality, and the reconstruction of it based on what the caster desires. Because of this, a caster requires an extremely high will.

There are four ways of forcing magic on amia, Through divine patriotism (Such as the Cleric and the Paladin), Through being touched by the weave (Such as the Sorcerer and the Bard), Through the spirits of Toril (Such as the Druid and the Ranger), and through the study of the weave (Such as the wizard). There are more, but it is too earily in the morning for me to care atm, so I will need to come back to them.

-Divine Patriotism-
Naturally, the divine are powerful forces that even created Toril and the other existing realities of it. Because of this, they no doubt have the power to bend Toril to shape their desires. Unfortunately, because of the compact created, they are unable to use their powers directly, which leave them in a state of stasis. Fortunately, this is where the zealots of their causes come in. These folks are, in a sense, an extention of their will, since god and servant are most likely like minded. Because of this, the god will gladly devote a little of its awesome power to its servant. However, this power only gives the divine caster access to the weave, not actual power over it. Therefore, they not only need to worship, but temper their will power so that they may use the magic granted to them.

-Weave Touched/Innate Casting-
On Toril, many creatures have become attuned to the weave naturally. Through interbreeding, such as kinky dragons with non magical creatures, Some of these mundane creature have the power to alter the weave as though an extension of its will. However, just because the door was opened because of birthright leaves them a narrower path of spell casting. Why? Because desires of a person are usually a narrow thing, while changing, they still only encompass a few things at a time.

-Spiritual-
Spiritual magic involves bargaining with spirits to create magical effects. This is the primal forces of our world. While this is indeed divine magic, and gods are devoted to this, gods play little role in this. In this, the caster forms a connection with his/her primal self, and attempt to use it to appeal to the spirits of the land to help them in their goals. Often, this requires a bargain, such as a fetish or a promise to the spirits being appealed to.

-Study-
The wonders of books. This form is unique and is a rather awesome feat, for it requires the caster to have an extreme understanding of the spell they wish to cast. Here, the wizards learn about it, then they play with the idea of the spell, feeling it and playing with it in their mind, before the spell becomes one with their thoughts. However, this understanding does not last forever and if a wizard wishes to cast more spells as such they need to once again meditate on what they wish to cast.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Last edited by The Little Dragon on Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:35 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:42 PM 

Player

First up: Look next time. There is an entire subforum dedicated to lore

Secondly: What you have written up there is almost entirely incorrect in most aspects or inaccurate in the others, all magic is accessed through the weave, no matter its nature. Bards are not exclusively relying on innate magic, bards are a very paradigm based class and while mechanically possible, a bard does not need to have a draconic bloodline either. (My own bard - while requiring a request - uses divine magic instead of arcane)

Thirdly: Magic is only separated in two categories, divine and arcane. Druids and Rangers use divine magic (which on Amia ALWAYS requires a deity of some form) as well and all deities, not just nature deities, can sponsor rangers.
Sources for innate magic are not restricted to "interbreeding", there are some races who simply have a chance to have innate magic by default.

Your description of divine magic is entirely off base. Please read up on your lore before writing stuff like this.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 28 2016, 13:04 PM 

Player

Tarnus wrote:
Secondly: What you have written up there is almost entirely incorrect in most aspects or inaccurate in the others, all magic is accessed through the weave, no matter its nature. Bards are not exclusively relying on innate magic, bards are a very paradigm based class and while mechanically possible, a bard does not need to have a draconic bloodline either. (My own bard - while requiring a request - uses divine magic instead of arcane)

Intersting. That actually made me even more curious. Assassin Spell casting is a bit weird, right? You get spells not by natural force of will, but by intelligence, while casting like a Bard. Would this open up the same thing for an Assassin? Could an Assassin get his/her spells from a sponsor, for example Shar Mask?

Sneak-Edit: Shar actually is a bad example due to Shadow Weave stuff, let's say Mask here.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 28 2016, 13:09 PM 

Player

Well, I mean there is the Slayer of Domiel PRC, which is basically a LG assassin with divine spells. I can't tell you at the top of my head right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a "regular" divine assassin PRC out there. (keep in mind though, that if assassin is used for emulation, you'll still be mechanically subjected to ASF)

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 28 2016, 13:17 PM 

Player

ASF: Of course, though you'd never see any of my Assassins in anything heavier than cloth at level 15+, unless it is a disguise.

So if there isn't a normal PrC, then it would automatically be a 'no'? Just curious, because it seems like essentially an Assassin with minor Cleric-ness hints...

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 28 2016, 18:43 PM 

Player

Slayer of Domiel, Blackflame Zealot, and Shadowbane Inquisitor are the closest things to "divine assassin", offhand.

Tarnus covered the rest re: the weave and how magic actually works.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:28 AM 

Player

Tarnus wrote:
First up: Look next time. There is an entire subforum dedicated to lore

Thirdly: Magic is only separated in two categories, divine and arcane. Druids and Rangers use divine magic (which on Amia ALWAYS requires a deity of some form) as well and all deities, not just nature deities, can sponsor rangers.
Sources for innate magic are not restricted to "interbreeding", there are some races who simply have a chance to have innate magic by default.

Your description of divine magic is entirely off base. Please read up on your lore before writing stuff like this.

Your second statement states pretty much what was said, and divine bards are a variant, so I see them as a special case. Third, Arcane magic is self as the force against the weave, Divine is the patron giving the servant the power to force the weave. I am discussing how they do it. I am hoping this would also help others with some material for roleplay on it as well.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 29 2016, 14:29 PM 

Player

No, it isn't. And what you wrote - even after your edits - in your first post is still wrong. Bardic magic - even arcane one - is not necessarily innate but can be learned. Arcane magic also isn't "a force against the weave". Its nice that you want to help people, but if you don't have solid knowledge of what you want to teach others about - which I will have to be frank here, you don't, refrain from doing so. And your section about "spiritual magic" is still wrong. Gods do play a massive role in this. There is NO SPIRITUAL MAGIC. There is NO CONNECTION to a primal self or appeasing spirits to gain magic. It is lend by the patron deity. I'm locking this now. Please refrain from making more of these until you've studied up more.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]