View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 13:26 PM 

Player

Well, Basically, that is the question. I might be overanalyzing this, but right now I have nothing better to do, sorry for that.
Kind of out of boredom, I began wondering about Shadovar. To me, it seems like their racial changes would largely be just because of their position in the Plane of Shadow. At least the Intelligence +1 and Dexterity +1 are due to them learning how to survive out there, as most things are more dangerous than normal humans on the Plane of Shadow.
Quote:
Relying more on whits and agility than brute strength to survive the hostility of the Plane, they are usually slimmer than most other humans as well.
TormakSaber, Mon, Aug 22 2011, 8:01 AM click here, Yes, I quoted the spelling error. Deal with it

Now, I would say the -2 Constitution can be explained with the same reason. Plane and Shadow and stuff. The only modifier I would say is just due to culture is the -1 on Wisdom, as my personal opinion would attribute that to their extreme selfishness and hierarchy. Now, this would mean that any human who lives on the Plane of Shadow for a while (as in, thousands of years) would adapt these features, right?
Now, I don't know lore behind Shadowscape, but would these racial modifiers apply to... uh... Shadowscapians too? Looking at the Shadowscape Commoner NPCs, they are
Quote:
universally of pale, greyish skin with hair in shades of dark brown and black.
TormakSaber, Mon, Aug 22 2011, 8:01 AM click here
just like the Shadovar. So would one of these people be basically "the same race" as a normal Shadovar? Or would they be some other race?
(Also, where can someone find information about Shadowscape? As far as I've seen now... it's just ... there, without any backstory I know)
Thanks for the answers,
-Robbi320

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 20:12 PM 

Player

The Shadovar has been exposed to the plane of shadow for 1000s of years, and the corruption ingrained from generations of living and breeding there. The people in Shadowscape have been there for maybe a decade, two at max. It's a tempting comparison, but it's not quite the same in scope.

Estara

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 20:27 PM 

Player

Tormak was the running DM of Shadowscape for awhile. Don't know if that's still the case, but you could ask.

And yes, I doubt the two are the same. I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly stated that they are not the same by the Team before.

But the stats of the Shadowscape residents is a good question! Are they somewhere in the middle? Are they similar to what shadovar came from? Do they have innate abilities? I say you kill a few and experiment on them.

I mean. What?

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 20:34 PM 

Player

They are base humans that are coloration challenged.

Estara

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 20:37 PM 

Player

So they're us? But in the game?

>.>

All gamers are essentially Shadowscape humans.

Terallis

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 20:40 PM 

Player

Definitely that. I agree. But yeah, they really just are humans (or possibly other races) that, due to having not been exposed to the sun over a decade or two, would lose most of the colour in their skin. Probably also get fairly irritable due to the same affecting their moods and such. But definitely not enough time to experience the millenia that the Shadovar have endured.

Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 20:52 PM 

Player

Adding on to Terralis' point, the Shadovar are a very, very, very unique case of living in the Shadow Plane. There are numerous ways of "reacting" to the Shadow Plane, but to properly emulate the state the Shadovar are... well, you'd need to be a Shadovar.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 23:38 PM 

Player

Well, my lore isn't he best regarding is, but would staying in the Plane of Shadow for only 20 years change your skin color? I mean, yeah, genetics and Forgotten Realms are two different things, but that seems a bit weird to me. And if the Plane of Shadow already does such drastic changes in just 20 years, wouldn't it be extremely likely that it would change certain aspects of you? From what I have seen, Shadowscape isn't intrinsically evil like other cities (Tarkuul and necromancy, drow society, totalitarian monarchies, etc...) yet they have a big temple devoted to Mask. Compared to Shadovar: they worship Shar. Both deities don't like each other much because their domains kind of overlap. I'm not trying to say that the culture is identical, because one is basically “perverted“ Netherese and the other one is way to recent for that. But the general idea of an IC focus in Dex and Int seems to be present in both. (look at the shops. yes, some have swords, but most weapons are finesseable and many have use restrictions to the typical Dex classes, like assassin or SD) Therefore it seems like their stats should be somewhat similar.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 25 2016, 1:13 AM 

Player

Sure, they'd favor those stats, but it's not a supernatural or genetic predisposition like it is with the Shadovar. Just build into them.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 25 2016, 1:35 AM 

Player

Shadowscape was the result of an incredibly drastic magical ritual and is also host to a slew of incredibly powerful shadow-users that likely accounts for the short term skin change coloration. They're not Shadovar, though, and are simply non-subraced humans.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]