View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
dimension_w

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 17 2016, 15:36 PM 

Player

Is there any lore pertaining to the magical properties of a dragons eye? I've seen plenty of stuff on dragon's teeth, dragons scales... Even NWN has a Rakshasa's eye as a droppable item, assuming they too have their own magical uses. But what about a dragons eye, once its removed from its host?

- Thimblepot (Amia's Resident Brownie)
- Greta Sólveig (Barbarian raised by Dwarves)

Aiseth

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 17 2016, 17:49 PM 

Player

As far as I know, true dragon sight enables dragons to see magical auras; in the mechanical equivalent of the spell Detect Magic.

I am sure that I could, say, bake a dragon eye into a pie that allows whoever to eat the pie detect magic for X amount of rounds; but fastening eyes to enchant equipment would be difficult, if not a substrate or chemical formula at best.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 17 2016, 18:46 PM 

Tester

Dragons have some of the best senses found in the realms, including sight. So I would imagine you could reason just about anything pertaining to better/magical sight coming from using one. As dragons grow more powerful with age, it's probably safe to say that an adult or ancient's eye is a more potent component than say a wyrmling's.

Beyond the bounds of physical sight, a Red or Gold's eye might be good for giving some sort of divining property to an item, as they both get some related spell-like abilities as they age(Discern Location, Find the Path, Locate Object, Foresight).

Dead

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 17 2016, 20:44 PM 

Player

You should probably note that an eye of an ancient dragon or a wyrm would be 6ft (2m) in diameter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

Dergaii

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:44 AM 

Player

So it's the latest trend in scrying devices as an interior design feature?

Besides established uses of dragon eyes in the lore, I feel that a lot of the magic in D&D is based on the principle of sympathetic magic. If you want to come up with a new use, this 'rule' can give you an idea of how it an be used.

dimension_w

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 12:48 PM 

Player

Thank you everyone, this is all very "eye-opening" information. ;)

So from the looks of things, apart from the impractical bulk of an ancient Red Dragon's eye, it could be very useful for divining? I can picture it in some wizards palace, the centre-piece of his collection, and see him gaze into it, like looking into the Palantir in LOTR.

Dergaii

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 16:01 PM 

Player

Or, considering it is a red dragon's eye, the lens could be used to focus rays of fire energy. Could be interesting for your evil mad genius. "Wharftown better pays up 10 million gold or I'll fry the entire villages, mua muahaha muahahahahahaaa"

Liz

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 19:53 PM 

Player

dimension_w wrote:
... I can picture it in some wizards palace, the centre-piece of his collection, and see him gaze into it, like looking into the Palantir in LOTR.

I love this. Kaithan now desperately wants the lens of a dragon's eye. :)

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 20:50 PM 

Tester

Quote:
You should probably note that an eye of an ancient dragon or a wyrm would be 6ft (2m) in diameter.

Quote:
So it's the latest trend in scrying devices as an interior design feature?

There's nothing that says you'd have to use the item whole. Plenty of components are required to be powdered, reduced, or distilled. Actually obtaining an great wyrm's eye is a larger issue than figuring out a way to use it more than likely. I'd agree sympathetic magic is the best bet when it comes to stuff like this.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 20:52 PM 

Player

Like basically anything in the Forgotten Realms, it's as magical as you make it up to be.

dimension_w

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 22 2016, 16:39 PM 

Player

Well thank you all for your input. This will be useful for an upcoming character development quest. We'll just see how things go. In the end it'll be up to the dm to make a final decision on what magical abilities, such a thing as a dragons eye, could have.

It gives credence though to some of the lore of one of my most significant characters. Especially the idea of enhanced divination, or clearer vision of ones surroundings.

Not many people may know, but part of my dc requested weapon "Gertrude" involves the bio/historical fact that it was forged in ceremonial means and cooled in the blood of a Red dragon. Whats ironic to see here now from the lore is how amazing that fits. Back in my d&d days, Gertrude, Greta's sentient sword, also had the ability to see and sense things better than her wielder. It could very well be the fact that the dragon blood (which came from its eye) the blade was soaked in granted the sentient blade with extra-diviner abilities.

Hmm which is now making me beg the question.. What else can dragon blood bestow? I originally just took from Norse mythology the fact that some heroes of note, would cool their weapons in dragon blood rather than water because they believed it made their weapons stronger and enhanced. (In this case Gertrude was a Masterwork Quality Weapon, and these secret cooling techniques helped make her that quality.)

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 23 2016, 2:48 AM 

Tester

Again, probably whatever you could reason as relevant. Many rituals probably use the blood of a creature because it's often perceived as the being's "essence." That means it could house and bestow any number of properties you could find in the actual creature. Hardiness? Resistance for fire? Fire damage? Tougher skin? These are all possibilities depending on how you go about it.

I don't think there's anything in particular that dragon's blood is said to give. But there are certainly a few places to take inspiration from. It's not exactly what you're looking for I imagine, but Complete Mage describes a thing known as a Dragon's Blood Pool(p. 149), which can happen when the blood of a significantly powerful dragon is shed in an epic way. A sorcerer or bard(or other spontaneous caster with draconic heritage I guess) can drink from the pool and gain a bonus spell slot for a year. So a weapon quenched in dragon's blood might give a bonus spell slot or two, or perhaps have a stored spell all of its own. Alternatively, Pathfinder comes to the rescue with a fairly detailed feat and guide of what butchering up dragons can net you. Not our setting yet... but certainly good for getting a few ideas.

Edit: Almost forgot. The Thayvian Crafting component "Dragon Blood" from eons ago used to bestow either a low onhit Fear property or a once per day casting of Clarity to an item when crafted onto it, but I'm not aware of any particular lore reasoning for it imbuing those abilities. Dragon's blood is probably good for a number of things as you can see by this point.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]