View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Faith

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 29 2015, 16:39 PM 

Player

What is the nature of a bard's magic? I'm not sure if its an innate ability like a sorcerer's power, something studied like a wizard, or if the songs themselves are magical. All the information I can find regarding bardic magic is that it's practiced in a way that incorporates artistic talents, and that it's often focused through an instrument.

Liz

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 29 2015, 17:05 PM 

Player

It's not really formally defined, and opinions and theories vary widely. :) You'll find examples of all three of those options.

(Here's a previous discussion... http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=74975)

Faith

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 29 2015, 19:18 PM 

Player

Liz wrote:
It's not really formally defined, and opinions and theories vary widely. :) You'll find examples of all three of those options.

(Here's a previous discussion... http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=74975)

Ah, thank you. I searched for topic names containing "Bard," but "Bardery" didn't exactly occur to me ^^

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 29 2015, 21:06 PM 

Player

Obligatory "not all bard magic is cantomancy" before someone m mentions it.

Lutra

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 31 2015, 3:21 AM 

Player

That...also what people call ICly and OOCly spellsinging on Amia is just vaguely similar to the spellsong feats from the PnP PRCs.

3rd edition indeed made bardic magic an innate form of magic, although it is not necessarily the case. Bards have to learn what they need for spellcasting and other musical/magical things they are doing. The reason why they made it an innate thing is because to become a bard, you have to posses a rare talent, because not every musician can become a bard...it is a rare thing and it is kinda a big deal to become one. It requires hard work and dedication...I would say that it is somewhat midway between the innate and the wizardy path. The other reason why it became innate because bardism is close to the traditional form of art, thus it heavily relies on emotions and that is something that they share with sorcerers or other innate casters.

Quote:
All the information I can find regarding bardic magic is that it's practiced in a way that incorporates artistic talents, and that it's often focused through an instrument.

Not every spell needs a musical components. There are certain spells that need musical components but otherwise, unless it is specified in the spell description, you don't have to do music.

There are certain feats, such as the spellsong feat in pnp where you can burn a higher level song to immediately cast a lower level song in return through music. In that case the effect is instantaneous and you have to burn a bard song for it, however, you don't need other components.

AzureLuna

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 31 2015, 3:47 AM 

Player

Forever repost. Not helpful (I was helpful in the last thread, ok?), but super catchy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]