View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, May 26 2015, 22:16 PM 

Player

So, I'm excited for a character concept I want to try out, that concept being an aasimar decended from a radiant dragon and taking dragon disciple levels. But what I wanted to know is if the descendants of a radiant dragon, which is a dragon with the extra planar subtype that lives in Celestia, would qualify as an aasimar, or just a person with dragons blood in them.

I think this would be a really, really fun concept to roll with but I would rather find out later than if the character would require being descended from two separate creatures, an outsider creature and a radiant dragon, or simply the extraplanar dragon type.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Tue, May 26 2015, 22:30 PM 

Player

Dragons are weird. Because some have an elemental subtype, the argument could be made that they can produce genasi as well. I think, in this case, that you look for the "most specific" typing. Dragon is more specific than elemental, and more specific than celestial. The character would be dragonblooded.

Estara

PostPosted: Tue, May 26 2015, 22:46 PM 

Player

I'd probably agree with NC, but I'm not the biggest lore-monkey on these kinds of facts. They certainly could still produce traits reminiscent of Celestia and celestial-blooded things, though, along with that specialized Radiant sub-type, I would think!

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, May 26 2015, 23:06 PM 

Player

Hmm... then I suppose since this character concept is so confusing I might just special request it to be what it is. From there we could get a staff consensus on what it would be.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Estara

PostPosted: Wed, May 27 2015, 0:09 AM 

Player

Try the Concept forum and ask for some staff input! I'm sure it would go well- the forum was made for that. :)

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, May 27 2015, 4:09 AM 

Player

There has been more than one example of that mixture! I would say go for it!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, May 27 2015, 4:57 AM 

Tester

Yeah, my thinking is basically what has been said. It's like the question of dragons producing genasi that was posted a while ago. A Radiant Dragon is still a dragon foremost, the subtype is just that.

There's nothing to say a character can't have draconic blood and also be a Planetouched, however. There is always the possibility that there is more than one magical creature/planar entity down the centuries of a family tree. But I would cautious of trying to put too many "flavors" together, like the droves of "Quarter-dragon," half-elf, thayan genasi Dragon Disciples from our days of yore. Something people often forget is that bloodlines are powerful things once awoken. Not necessarily in a mechanical sense, but a mental sense. They change you, influence you, and vie for your attention and resources the more you indulge them. Holy-Bros as they might often be seen, (good) dragons and celestials aren't always on the same wavelenght. Dragons of most types still harbor huge pride, hoard wealth, and eat things that disagree with them. Celestials, well it depends on the creature, but they vary a lot too. I would think that a character with two bloodlines active in them, even if they are from two creatures that may share a similar outlook, would often be at struggle with dual ancestral "voices" prodding him in ever-so-slightly differing directions. "Killed the villain, bury the body, give his gold to the orphanage." "Kill the villain, leave his body as warning to others, add some of the gold to your hoard." That sort of deal.

I'm sure if you kick it over to the Concept forum some other people would love to see and help you flesh the idea out. My main thought though is that if you want to request that your Aasimar stats be attributed to Radiant Dragon Blood, that's probably a neater bow to tie than dealing with two separate sources, unless that internal conflict is something you'd enjoy.

Estara

PostPosted: Wed, May 27 2015, 13:50 PM 

Player

So well put, DI.

Manarethan

PostPosted: Thu, May 28 2015, 3:20 AM 

Player

Yes, I think Dark Immolation is correct here. Though, I'm not sure that requesting Aasimar stats to represent Radiant Dragon blood would work, as you would be given the Outsider sub-race, leaving your character vulnerable and immune to things it shouldn't be effected by.

LastDragonRider

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 04 2015, 11:54 AM 

Player

Location: Somewhere... anywhere.. not here...maybe there... (GMT -8)

There is a half radiant dragon PC on the server, Jes' Kyra and I have two metallic/aasimar combination, general consensus among dracophiles is that draconic blood overrides all other mixtures... meaning that both my bronzekin/Aasimar and my Goldkin/Aasimar are exactly that, bronzekin first, aasimar second and goldkin first aasimar second.... they are dragon first and foremost..... even though they have outsider for their racial type, the rituals for DD tend to quash other instincts that are not draconic, and from my observation and RP with Kyra, she is very much a radiant dragon in mindset and understanding of those around her... whatever the other half of her blood, the radiant dragon is predominant. But Jes would be best to offer more insight into this as well as Dusty. This is just my two cents as an amateur dracophile and habitual DD player and from making a lot of effort to research the lore of each dragon and how it'd effect the races that awaken it.

Sir Khayri Aphaeleon ~ Avenger of Hoar, Knight of Fort Cystana

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 19:35 PM 

Player

Dunno how this worked out, but wouldn't a character descending from a divine dragon be an aasimar? then become a dd if he/she chose to follow that path?

Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 11 2015, 4:48 AM 

Player

I kind of have to think that a character descended from a creature with both the Dragon and Celestial creature types could turn out to be either dragon-blooded or planetouched. It seems kind of just statistically unlikely that the character would be both, if both traits are just manifesting randomly down the ancestor's bloodline.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 11 2015, 7:04 AM 

Player

I'd probably view it the same as Shadowfiend, and say both, outsider and dragon at once because that is what Radiant Dragons are. They're dragons from another plane of existance therefore they are outsiders and dragons, so the person who has their blood in them would also have both, outsider dragon blood. There is no reason the blood would divide into one or the other as it is one and the same from its source. It is only when the character chooses the dragon discipline path and undergo the rituals that the dragon might manifest more fully. But I would still say it is valid to roll the as a Aasimer plane touched with the outsider sub-type to represent their heritage. They wouldn't even have to take the dragon disciple class unless they wanted to have the mechanical benefits. Like a pure socerer who has dragon blood in them. Or I would say it is the same with Shadow dragon bloods, techically they would be planetouched as well and outsiders as subtypes but thats a different discussion.

Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 11 2015, 7:10 AM 

Player

Definitely, the blood is all from one source, but is that the same thing as saying that each inheritor of the blood has to manifest all of its traits? I wouldn't think so; some of them might tend towards a certain subset. In any case, I think it's obvious that there's not a great way to represent a character like that in the NWN format, and anything the player might roll up would have to be just a rough approximation of the ideal character concept.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]