View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Estara

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 20 2014, 21:45 PM 

Player

Hey everyone. Just curious if there's been any prior questions about the Tome of Battle and its contents. Swordsages, the nine paths, etc. I've been looking into it and have found some of it pretty interesting and potentially very influential in certain instances and places on Amia. Let me have whatever any of you got!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 20 2014, 23:22 PM 

Tester

There are a few swordsages on Amia. My character wouldn't think to call it that, but I do think of his few Rogue levels as swordsage of Diamond Mind discipline. How Swordsage explains its maneuvers match up well to how he would actively approach his combat, rather than passively being a nimble/tricky son of a bitch. Sapphire Nightmare Blade -> Sneak Attack, High Spellcraft(Bonus to Will) -> Moment of Perfect Mind, High Spellcraft(Bonus to Reflex)+ Evasion -> Action Before Thought, etc etc.

I've considered making a Swordsage using Bard/Knight Commander/Rogue. Guess I've got something else to put in the Character Concept thread, though.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 21 2014, 2:26 AM 

Player

I like to pretend Rashad has a mix of swordsage and dervish levels and is a master of the Desert Wind style. It's more interesting than saying "I'm a fighter." Eh-heh.

I've bandied the idea about of trying to apply for a feat or two to simulate some of the maneuvers some day.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Estara

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 21 2014, 6:27 AM 

Player

Any DMs know of ToB or Blade Magic being ruled into any character requests or plotlines? I am also curious on its official history here, if it has one. Couldn't find anything from a search myself.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 21 2014, 6:39 AM 

Tester

I always figured Saint Nebessa was a swordsage given his philosophy and history, but I don't think he was ever called a swordsage or directly identified with any of the Sublime Paths. He was called the Sword Saint, though, so there might be something to it.

Edit: Looking back, I feel like he could have easily fit into the ideas of the Devoted Spirit or Iron Heart path.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 21 2014, 7:35 AM 

Player

Estara wrote:
Any DMs know of ToB or Blade Magic being ruled into any character requests or plotlines? I am also curious on its official history here, if it has one. Couldn't find anything from a search myself.

Kjetta's character Al'Tustra was a Swordsage of the Stone Dragon Disciple, but I don't know if he ever got any special stuff requested off that. I'm fairly certain that he requested the emulation/RP of the class, though, so you might have some luck asking one of the older DMs or former DMs (especially Yossarin) if there are any more details that could be divulged there/that they remember to help you out.

Beyond that, I don't think any ToB stuff has been featured or otherwise integrated lore-wise, just isolated cases of individual characters who were emulating ToB classes, and mostly Swordsages at that. (Never saw anyone go for emulating Crusader or Warblade. They're the best, anyway, because they have access to White Raven.) (Not... that you could effectively do any of that in NWN, though...)

Yossarin

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 21 2014, 16:08 PM 

Player

Yeah, by my recollection, none of this ever made it into approved requests, or was even requested in the first place. On that note, though, I was also only half invested in requests because they were such a drag on a DM's available time.

When I wrote the Saint Nabessa stuff, I don't remember ever trying to tie him into any class from those sourcebooks. It was just a story about a local culture hero that incorporated some important history about the relationship between Kohlingen, Winya, and Cordor.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 22 2014, 4:18 AM 

Tester

Hmm. Maybe it was some of his followers that I was picking up the swordsage vibe from. Or it may be nothing at all. Nabessa RP stuff is generally ancient, ancient Amian history, like Feleis and whatnot. Big purple cat bastard.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 22 2014, 9:59 AM 

Player

The Stone Dragon Discipline was featured in Kjetta's custom helmet request, Crown of the Earth Boss. I just checked (it was assigned to Kalliniel in Al's will) and it says, "this helmet was donned by Greagah Oathkeeper, a most zealous crusader of Grumbar and martial adept of the Stone Dragon Discipline." I also remember a DM quest being planned (maybe never done) about a quest to some mainland desert for further secrets. So it was definitely an approved part of the character and so fairly uncontroversially available in the Amiaverse.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]