View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 15:08 PM 

Player

Most DR cosmologies separate the "Inner Planes" around the prime material into elemental and energy types, as well as those demi planes where such borders cross. This leads me into some difficult but important questions :

1. Is matter or energy ever destroyed, or is it simply transformed into another state or transferred across planes?

2. If healing is channeling positive energy from its plane, and the reverse is channeling negative energy, how do the planes renew their supply? Negative energy, although it is often spent continuously maintaining undead, provides a constant drain of other energies around it to feed back into its parent plane. Do other planes of energy have mechanisms for renewal?

3. What happens to loose energy on the prime material? Can it exist as itself like the pockets of negative energy present on the Shadow Plane, or do the properties that make up the Prime Material force loose energy to mingle with other forms of matter and energy unless otherwise contained?

4. Can raw energy be contained or otherwise imbued into an object? Would a stone of favorable properties consistently bathed in some energy or element become attuned to it or its plane?

5. What keeps energies from flowing ceaselessly in or out of these planes when a portal is open?

Thanks. Playing an arcane caster keeps me up at night.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 15:25 PM 

Player

I do not believe matter or energy are fundamental to the makeup of the planes, including the Prime Material, to begin with. I believe the constituent is form or idea. Magic does not achieve its effects because it manipulates energy, it simply imprints another form on reality, makes it express another idea. Magic is not therefore distinct from every other way of being, it is just the easiest way for typical mortals to reshape reality outside of the physical or "natural", which seems to be, currently, the predominant idea shaping the Prime Material.

The basis for this? Oghma's dogma, particularly: "An idea has no weight, but it can move mountains."

In other words, these are IC questions that might have IC answers.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Yossarin

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 15:45 PM 

Player

These are some of those difficult or possibly dangerous questions to answer OOC, since they are magical physics that can not only differ from plane to plane, but also from DM interpretation to DM interpretation. Pretty much any answer you get to this is the equivalent of, "Here's my guess!"

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 15:55 PM 

Player

Start with the Manual of the Planes hardcover, is my first take. Lots of good info there. More than enough to work with for a fantasy setting. Imagination and collaboration can fill in the rest :)

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 16:05 PM 

Player

Knowing that these are open to imagination and IC interpretation / theory that is not flat out wrong because "Nuh uh Source Book says otherwise" is a fine conclusion, and ultimately better as our PCs would likely not have access to the information. This leads to competing / prevailing theories behind arcanists and anyone with a general interest in the subject, backed up by evidence they have gathered which may or may not end up being true.

It's important for me to ask the questions because, sometimes, there are just hard rules that are not immediately out in the open that serve as RP guidelines and limitations, such as: Monks supernatural abilities use the Weave, despite that information not being easily understood by new monks since their power is a natural development from themselves. While Monk RP is really open and flexible, the rules stating how their abilities work to some degree both limit and guide the roleplay to keep it from getting all crazy. Similarly the house rules on Shadow Dancers, and how "Shadow Magic" outside of the Shadow Weave works and the in-depth analysis some folk do on the Shadow Plane, which has been explained OOC and IC to some detail.

If, outside the base information in the sourcebook, there are no hard OOC explanations as to how these things work as agreed upon for Amia, that's a perfectly fine response!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]