View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
ChrisP

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 26 2013, 22:04 PM 

Player

I was doing a little refresher research into Earthmother and the Moonshaes for my Ffolk druid that I am playing. As far as I could remember, the Earthmother was an aspect of Chauntea, based more on her earlier, more primal past. On FR wiki, it says that she is a Primal Spirit, worshipped as a deity.

So, I was curious, according to Amia canon/lore, how is Earthmother treated?

Is this Primal Spirit thing a new 4th Ed creation? I don't recall hearing that before, but I quit buying new pnp sources after 3.5 stopped.

Ginafae Dalael - Dancer, dreamer, and cleric of Eilistraee
Maura Connolly - Nurturing druid
Wilimac Merrymar - Daring (reckless?) hin rogue

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 26 2013, 22:23 PM 

Player

Unnecessary info, IMO.

She was conceived of as a separate deity, because the Moonshaes were never supposed to be part of the Realms. Or rather, the novels were written for a non-specific setting but TSR had just launched FR and wanted to promote it so all that celtic lore was slapped onto those blank islands on Ed's map. The FR logo and some offhanded references were literally added after the books were already written.

FR designers decided to deal with multiple overlapping deities by saying they're "aspects" of other deities. I think that's a bit of a cop-out, but I guess we have to accept it. You could say she's an independent aspect of Chauntea or an independent deity of the local pantheon. Whatever the ontological "truth" of the matter, you should treat the Moonshae mythos as a pantheon of its own, for purposes of worship and divine jurisdiction.

Either way, it's not like anyone knows for sure whether she is or isn't the same being. Spirit, aspect or demigod, she's worshiped as the Earthmother and the Ffolk certainly won't accept a reduction of their primary lifegiver into some "aspect" of a foreign goddess.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

ChrisP

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 26 2013, 23:26 PM 

Player

Once again, I read a Lore post from IronAngel and nod my head saying, "That sounds right."

Dead

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 31 2013, 14:42 PM 

Player

If she is a primeval deity then she cannot be an aspect of Chauntea. Especially since Chauntea covers only a part of Earthmother's domain. So Chauntea can be an aspect of Earthmother, not vice versa.

If you want some closer insight into what Earthmother is supposed to be about google for Mati Syra Zemlya, as Earthmother is a product of this ancient Slavic deity.

http://reclaimingthedarkgoddess.blogspo ... emlya.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

Liz

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 04 2013, 5:39 AM 

Player

Chauntea is pretty much a primeval power herself. Only Selune/Shar predates her, among the Faerunian pantheon. I'd imagine she's well old enough for her shards and aspects to be potentially unfathomably ancient in their own right. And it's not unknown for a deity's apects to have very different traits than the "main" deity (q.v. Yondalla and Dallah Thaun). I'm with Iron, that the true nature of the Earthmother doesn't need to be strictly defined as IC knowledge, but there's no reason it shouldn't be at least plausible to believe that she's an aspect of Chauntea.

ChrisP

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 05 2013, 4:30 AM 

Player

Thank you guys for the advice. All very sound and helpful. That's why I love this community.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]