View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Dead

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2012, 12:39 PM 

Player

I have recently started exploring the lore of the Lower Planes and I have found something on Amia that just doesn't make any sense to me. According to some sources when it comes to power the scale goes somewhat like this:

Yagnoloth (lesser)
Nycaloth (greater)
Ultroloth (greater)

Though it is said that Nycaloths are the most powerful, Ultroloths are the rulers of their kind. What confuses me is Gate spell on Amia. According to it..

CL 17 – 21 :
Nycaloth

• CL 22 – 26 :
Ultraloth

• CL 27+ :
Yagnoloth

What I do not understand is how is it possible that a CL 27+ summons a lesser Yugoloth, while CL 17-21 summons, according to some sources, the most powerful of greater Yugoloths?

Also, what books should I look into for more lore on Yugoloths?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

Dead

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 25 2012, 0:14 AM 

Player

Hello?

Glim

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 25 2012, 0:22 AM 

Player

It hasn't even been a day since your first post, and it's the holidays. Give it time dude.

Dead

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 25 2012, 1:58 AM 

Player

Well it's not a request, I'm merely asking if anyone has an idea. O.o

Bini

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 26 2012, 22:44 PM 

Player

I think it has to do with just what is each individual Yugoloth varieties' strengths are and how well they apply to what the AI summon used to represent them does.

Yagnoloths for instance are the largest of the three and the most physically imposing because of their big ol' muscle arm. Because of this and how well it meshes with just what the summon will do (the Yagnoloth's strengths all lay in the realm of just smacking things dead in melee) it is reasonable to represent them with the strongest of the NE gate summons.

Nycaloths depend more on their flight and ambush tactics in battle (two things that cannot be represented in an Amian summon) and have have the greatest difference of any daemon between the weakest and strongest of the variety, something illustrated by the alternate template for a Nycaloth Commander. That is to say when binding a Nycaloth, you're catching some random Arcanaloth's scout-lackey, not Aulumpiter.

Ultraloths are the smallest of the three varieties represented by the gate summons, but as is fitting their actual power still exceeds all of their subordinate fellows, not by much however. As well, they're not really the sort to enter combat at all, let alone throw all of their effort into it, in fact it is very likely that even when bound into service by the most powerful of conjurers, that they only put a fraction of their power into completing the prescribed task. In short, Ultraloths, while the rulers of the mercenary Yugoloths, are enigmatic and beguiling critters who rely more on force of personality and the mysterious nature of their true power than they do melee potency to make up their challange rating.

Everything I mentioned is just a reasoned through and theoretical justification for something that may be a mistake though. It cannot be said that any of the Yugoloths mentioned must be the most powerful by mechanical representation, only that the way they are set up at the moment isn't necessarily wrong.

wiggedi2

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 27 2012, 9:49 AM 

Player

If you haven't done so already check the DnD books Fiend Folio, page 196, or maybe aswell Fiendish COdex I Hordes of the Abyss, but I'm not sure about that one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]