View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
feycourtier

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 06 2012, 14:22 PM 

Player

After much googling all i can find is Thard Harr

Alias(es): Lord of the Jungle Deeps
Power: Lesser deity
Pantheon: The Morndinsamman (Dwarf)
Symbol: Two crossed scaly clawed gauntlets of silvery-blue metal
Alignment: Chaotic good
Cleric alignment: CG, CN, NG
Portfolio: Wild dwarves, jungle survival, hunting
Worshippers: Druids, inhabitants of jungles, rangers, wild dwarves
Canon NWN2 domains: Animal Chaos Good Plant
Other canon domains: Dwarf
Favoured weapon (NWN2): Kukri
Canon favoured weapon: Clawed gauntlet (spiked gauntlet)

and as he is nwn2 im not even sure about him,can anyone point me the right direction?

Zedrik

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 06 2012, 15:57 PM 

Player

If he's a wild dwarf, then probably Thard Harr. Otherwise he's probably not going to be a druid.
Unless he worships outside the dwarven box and takes one of the other druidic deities.

Gunz wrote:
Here's an almost complete list for you:

Quote:
Faerun Pantheon: Silvanus, Mielikki, Eldath, Nobanion, Gwaeron Windstrom, Shiallia, Lurue, Chauntea, Grumbar, Istishia, Akadi, Kossuth, Ulutiu, Talos, Malar, Umberlee, Auril, Talona.

Mulhorandi Pantheon: Osiris, Anhur, Isis, Sebek.

Elven Pantheon: Rillifane Rallathil, Angharradh, Aerdrie Faenya, Deep Sashelas, Fenmarel Mestarine, Solonor Thelandira, Khalreshaar.

Gnome Pantheon: Baervan Wildwanderer, Segojan Earthcaller.

Hin Pantheon: Sheela Peryroyl.

Dwarf Pantheon: Thard Harr.

Almost complete, because there are "nature" gods who don't support Druids. This is just a list of gods who do.

Dwarves don't tend to produce druids. Their lifestyle and the druidic lifestyle don't really mesh well.

Selvec Darkon

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 06 2012, 18:41 PM 

Player

Location: On a Disk, carried by four elephants, which stand on a gigantic turtle.

I'd say the Gnome gods probably have the most in common with a Dwarven Druid since they are all earthy and shit.

"Do ye know where the Holy-Flamin' Frost-brand Gronk-slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' woundin' an' returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-out-yer-bum is?"

Remal

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 06 2012, 23:04 PM 

Player

Grumbar maybe? Not that he cares anyway :mrgreen:

Gunz

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 06 2012, 23:14 PM 

Player

Thard Harr is the only Dwarven Druid God, yep. He's their only nature God too. Dwarves are by far the race least likely to produce Druids of all the common races (Human, Elf, Hin, Gnome, Dwarf). Even Wild Dwarves and Arctic Dwarves don't choose to be Druids very often. Arctic Dwarves don't worship Morndinsamman very often though, or really any gods for that matter. The exceptions that do worship gods and go divine, go Druid though. They usually worship Ultutiu or Talos. Wild Dwarves, on the other hand, worship Thard Harr as patron and the god of gods. The rest of the Morndinsamman are acknowledged by the Wild Dwarves, but they're worshiped as spirits and not as the gods that they are.

The thing is that Dwarves are a very industrious people. Druid is extremely against the grain for them. There are always exceptions though. A famous exception is Pikel Bouldershoulder, who is a super primitive Dwarf. He's a Druid of Mielikki. But, because Dwarven Druids are so very rare, there really isn't a god outside of the Morndinsamman that stands out as preferred (besides Ultutiu and Talos to the Arctic Dwarves).

Choose who you like, is really what it boils down to.

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2012, 20:24 PM 

Player

I've always thought that Dumathoin felt a little bit druidy. His alignment and domains are glancingly appropriate (He's true neutral, and although he doesn't give Plant or Animal domains, he does give Cavern and Earth, which are at least somewhat naturey), and he's responsible for a lot of the structure of the parts of the natural world that the dwarves interact with (the under-mountain environment, specifically veins of metals and gems). You get hints of druid-ness in various snips of his lore:

Quote:
Dumathoin created a paradise under the mountains for the shield dwarves when Moradin named him their protector. He shaped natural caverns of great beauty, studded with rich and beautiful deposits of shining metals and glittering outcroppings of crystalline gems. He was angered when the dwarves began to mine the mountains, destroying the beauty he had created. Dumathoin was pleased, flattered, and a little awed, however, when he saw the finely Grafted items the dwarves produced from the ores they had mined. He no longer objects to tunneling, mining, or the collecting of treasures underground.

The Silent Keeper frowns, however, on clumsy or crude rockcutting that does not smooth the earth, follow the natural flows, and highlight the individual features of the rocks. Cutting that causes cavern collapses and floodings are even less to his liking, and he is openly angered by those who pillage. Pillagers, in Dumathoin's eyes, are beings of all races who take the earth's riches away (in other words, to the surface) for unfair or selfish purposes, taking more than their share and leaving rubble and other messes in their wake.

Quote:
Seek to enhance the natural beauty of Dumathoin's gifts and go with, not against, the contours of the deeps.

Quote:
Abide not undead creatures, especially those that take the form of dwarves, thus mocking the creation of Moradin.

Quote:
Priests of Dumathoin seek always to uncover the buried wealth of the earth without marring the beauty of the ways beneath the surface or being overly greedy. ... They work to clean up the rubble of mining, to grow and put in place luminous fungi and edible deep-mosses, and to direct water through the earth to best serve the underlife that includes, of course, dwarves. Priests of this faith are always hunting for new veins of ore, new sources and species of useful fungi ... They can also find water, veins of ore, and cracks or fissures that provide ways out, or can be mined to yield a way from one cavern to another.

I don't claim any of this to be definitive, of course, but it feels to me like the industrious dwarves that Gunz describes, when they go druidical, would do it in a way that looks a little bit like a peripheral sort of interpretation of Dumathoin's dogma. A very Dwarven sort of druid-ness.

Gunz

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2012, 21:20 PM 

Player

A little bit, but he's far more concerned with taking the earths riches than preserving natural beauty. He may have hints of nature loving, but definitely not Druid-like in approach. By his dogma, they don't take what they need, they take what they want -- within reason, but still. You could argue that some evil Druid supporting gods do the same, and you'd be right. But they support Druids and he doesn't. That's just sort of how it goes. His connection to nature is very thin, in any case. Unlike, say, Umberlee, Talona or Malar.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2012, 21:35 PM 

Player

Dwarven druids then are even bigger freaks than non-Dwarven druids. Flowers in their beards!

Gobo-kobo

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2012, 12:40 PM 

Player

Quote:
Gray Druid

The rare gray druids inhabit and tend the shadowy realms of the hidden life that exists without
sunlight—fungi, molds, and slimes—and the nocturnal creatures that dwell in lightless, subterranean
realms. Gray druids are more closely associated with the earth than with other elements of Nature.
While many of them live in underground caves or ruins (especially in the Underdark), they are found
any place fungal life grows abundantly, either above or below ground. Gray druids tend to oppose
dungeon delvers, especially dwarves, who they believe defile and exploit the underground
environment.
They have very good relations with deep gnomes and passable relations with drow,
who they feel show more appreciation of the beauty of the Underdark than most dwarves or men. But
the gray druids don’t always oppose surface dwellers. Suppose a maze of caverns has developed a
complex ecology: fungi, slimes, rust monsters, subterranean lizards, purple worms, and so on. Then an
evil wizard and his ogres move in and begin “clearing” the caverns, destroying the monsters in
preparation to establish an underground stronghold. In this situation, the gray druid might recruit a
party of adventurers — not to loot the caverns, but to defeat the wizard’s forces—and in so doing,
save the local ecology from destruction.

I guess that you could make a dwarven outcast gray druid, but other than that, unless it's a wild dwarf who would worship Thard Harr, your best choice for a dwarven druid would be Grumbar. Of course, you could always make a dwarven druid who would worship any of the more common druidic deities.. but such case would not that likely to happen, even though it is not unheard of. Gray druid would be unique and challenging thing to play but I'm not sure how fun would it be for you, concerning that the most of druidic roleplay is happening on surface. Still it could work I reckon.

Also to the list Gunz made one could add:

- Sylvan Pantheon: Oberon, Titania
- Mulhorandi Pantheon: Set

Zedrik

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2012, 15:02 PM 

Player

Gobo-kobo wrote:

Also to the list Gunz made one could add:

- Sylvan Pantheon: Oberon, Titania
- Mulhorandi Pantheon: Set

I believe later on in that thread it talks about the Sylvan pantheon and Set both.
Or maybe it was a different thread. Or threads. I forget.

Gobo-kobo

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2012, 15:19 PM 

Player

Could be. I searched trough all the threads on GD concerning druidic deities and from what I've gathered I made a list which is the same as you quoted in this thread with those three additions. Perhaps I'd add Earthmother to the whole lot, but there are different interpretations of her as deity so I left her aside for now.

Gunz

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2012, 2:10 AM 

Player

Gray Druids are just a type of Druid. A Druid in the underdark is already a Gray Druid by default. The "Druid Druid" is thought to be the Forest Druid only because they far outnumber all other Druid types and rule over Druidic society.

And yes, Set, Oberon, Titania are also Druid supporting gods. I did mention them multiple times in the past in talks about Druidic faiths. There is no complete Druid god list, just completeish lists.

Gobo-kobo

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2012, 14:06 PM 

Player

Well yes. I was tossing an idea towards feycourtier. A druid is not necessairly a jungle/forest druid. Some specialize in the nature that surrounds swamps, underdark, villages etc. So your dwarf may go with something closer to a dwarf - caves, pits, underdark, which would make him a Gray Druid.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]